1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Battery charger vs Battery maintainer

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by raskal, Dec 23, 2019.

1. raskal

raskal Active Member

I have a "electronic" battery charger that I have used on my boat battery with good success. I'll typically put it on the charger every 2 weeks for a couple of hours. I have no problem maintaining a schedule (I use a calendar app for reminders)

Should I use the same charger on my XJ's battery or should I invest in a maintainer (eg: Battery Tender Jr) ?

lastly, if you suggest a maintainer, what do you think of this one https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-MP00205A-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B06XWDZ2KQ

That one is $20 in Canada vs $54 for the Battery Tender Jr. right now

thanks and Merry Christmas, I hope Santa brings you a new parts bike

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

My bikes stay on a maintainer at all times--Battery Tender, Jr. I didn't pay anywhere near $54 for them. However, I don't see any reason that one would not work. Plug it in and leave it on.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

any cheap trickle charger will do the job

if your current charger trickle charges you will be fine

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. raskal

raskal Active Member

6. raskal

raskal Active Member

trickle chargers, I've read, aren't great cause they don't shut off and end up over-charging batteries

I think I'll just buy a maintainer and not have to worry about being on time to avoid over charging

thanks guys!

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have a $10 harborfreight battery maintainer that I keep plugged in over the winter and any time I'm not riding for a few days. Works great.

For actual charging of a new or low battery, I have an old 1 or 4 amp charger.

8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

It depends on the cell type. If it's a flooded battery you should charge it with an auto-shutoff charger and keep it topped off all of the time using a float charger like the cheap clip-on ones (not a Battery Tender). It's a very low current(<500mA at 13V) power source that keeps the chemicals separated. An AGM is more finicky about charging rate and how you maintain them. A decent lead acid battery maintainer will adjust the charging amperage on any lead battery based on the voltage and keep the battery at peak charge with less than 1amp of charging. The Battery Tender small pack is made to do that which is why they are so popular.