1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

seating carb diaphragm rubber?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all i'm stil on with renovating my spare set of mikuni Bs32,s as in the jis screwdriver thread earlier.
    has anyone got any tips to keep the diaphragm rubber in place whilst I put the top hat on. it wont stay there on its own, and if I slide the cap on the rubber comes out when it passes the high bit ,
    on number one I used some Permatex gasket adhesive, that did the trick , but dunno what it'll be like removing it in the future.
    what do you guys use?
    thanks
    stu

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You seem to be on the right track with Permatex "sticky" adhesive. Only put it in the very rim of the hat that gasket its into. Do not over do it, if that stuff gets into the top or gets sucked down into the main body of the carb I think you will have issues. Have to tried warming up the diaphragms a little? Just be careful if and when you do. I had XS1100 that I had this issue on. Testing to make sure that the diaphragm is working is a good idea too. Best of luck and let us know you finally made it work.

3. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Sounds like it's dried out and shrunk so much that it's not sealing properly. The rib should stay in the flange when you press it down. Tried soaking the rubber in power steering fluid?

4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

A little silicone grease will help "stick" it down while the carb cap is put in place. Typically nothing is needed if the diaphrams are in good condition.

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Get a can of spray silicone ,spray the diaphragms and rub in , put a little axle grease on lip of carb , this usually holds it in place. Permatex, RTV should not be used ,if you have to pull that off you could end up possibly ripping diaphragms.

6. bensalf

so I did #1 and#2 with the Permatex, and that worked ok , just using a fine brush and painting it on the carb top grove.
    on the third I used a heat gun , from a distance , and softened it up and stretched the outer rim slightly, then put some red rubber grease in the grove, and stuck it in ,this held enough to hold the rubber in the grove ,till I slid the cap on.
    I was concentrating so much on getting it right , that I forgot to put all 3 plunger springs in DOH,
    so took all 3 back off again ,the first 2 with Permatex were still stuck in place ,so put the springs in and all ok ,had to redo the third with heatgun and grease but, it went back on ok.
    now onto #4:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Make sure to check the vacuum test on each carb. Covering the oval hole on the front of the carb to make sure the throttle slide is not slamming down. The throttle slide should hang up or move down very slowly but not slam.

8. bensalf

yes I checked that by blowing down the oval hole ,then watching the slide return , and they're all about the same .returning slowly to bottom
    :):),
    thanks
    stu