1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to the XJ Life

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SeanM706, Jan 2, 2020.

1. SeanM706

SeanM706 New Member

I picked up my 1981 XJ650 in October (birth year bike!). She has 21.7k miles on her and wasn't running when I brought her home for $500. She came with a ratty and scarred paint job on the tank and some rust on the chrome (mostly on the headers). The tires are old and need replacing and she could use new rear shocks and a fork rebuild. The brakes needed gone through and my buddy and I tackled that pretty easily. Also, she wouldn't start. Turns out, the previous owner had switched around the throttle and enricher cables. Thanks to this forum, I figured that one out pretty quickly. I quickly learned that she was also puking gas out of the airbox. I went through a couple of excellent posts (Clean Your Own Carb's & In the Church of Clean) and got the carbs rebuilt, fuel levels set and everything sync'd. She runs and runs well! I'm impressed with how zippy this thing is! I wasn't a huge fan of how the stock bars look but, after some saddle time, they feel really good...I may end up keeping them. The tach is slow to climb and fall and I may end up doing the electronic tach conversion. Otherwise, the old girl will probably stay pretty much stock and keep most of her patina. IMG-0608.jpg

Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.
  2. raskal

raskal Active Member

I like the birth year comment.
    Mine is a graduation year bike :)

SeanM706 likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Sean, welcome to the site, looks like you have been a long time lurker and now you are a member. Glad to hear you took your time and read through the "church of clean" these bikes carbs do need the time and TLC you gave them to run right.

When you get time take a look at the back brake shoe, if it is a OEM there is a chance that it could separate while riding and that would be bad. Sounds like you might know that already sense you have been doing some background reading.

I wish you many a yrs of riding her.

Jetfixer and SeanM706 like this.
  4. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Hey Sean!! Glad you are enjoying the bike

I'm in Charlottesville and MD isn't that far away, so if you ever head down this way PM me... :)
    Oh, and I have a 83 Maxim 750 parts bike that may have a couple interchangeable parts if you need them.

Jetfixer and SeanM706 like this.
  5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Check the tach cable
    Or replace the tach. They’re common enough

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group ..your bike looks good , glad you kept stock airbox , and did not put PODS on may look kool ,but don't work so well with CV carbies . Keep us informed of updates.