1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

YICS Chamber Missing Passages XJ650J

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tombez, Jan 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tombez

Tombez New Member

I opened up what I believe to be the YICS chamber on my XJ650J '82 Maxim to clean it, only to find there are no visible passages connecting to the chamber. My engine and frame shorty VINs match, both starting with 5N8 which I believe indicates XJ650J, and my title indeed says a 650cc '82 Maxim.

My first thought was that maybe the middle layer of the engine has been replaced, taken from a model without the YICS system, but why would Yamaha go through the effort of drilling the chamber out?

I have some pictures, but it won't let me post with them in the thread, I'll try to comment them.

1. Am I just not seeing the passages?
    2. Is this part of my engine from another model XJ?

Thank you for taking the time to read and maybe respond. :)

2. Tombez

Tombez New Member

Attached pictures of my engine with the YICS chamber bolt off, YICS chamber with and without flashlight.

Attached Files:

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a video in this thread where if you look closley at the 10:00 position on the wall you will see the small holes
    YIKES!: ALL ABOUT THE "YICS" SYSTEM.

2ed half of video looks like there are more holes on the 2:eek:o position

gun solvent and a cleaning rod will help clean the passage . them there is small tools you can clear the passages with

this is ports bottom of head
    holeshead.PNG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Tombez likes this.
  4. Tombez

Tombez New Member

I had read that post, but hadn't watched the video, thank you. Those passages are tiny! Now I'm not surprised I can't see them.

5. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

Question... Does the yics tube chamber fill up with the air fuel mix from all 4 carbs and each cylinder draws from the chamber or does each cylinder draw from its own carb ? Im thinking from the chamber.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the vents make the fuel swirl as it goes into combustion chamber for more efficent burning

the chamber sucks in air and fuel that is remaining in between the carb and valves when the valves close and then into the carb/ valve area feeding the cylinder on the intake stroke

from link YIKES!: ALL ABOUT THE "YICS" SYSTEM.

Here is how Yamaha describes their YICS system:

"The YICS consists of 2 separate chambers, each connected, to a port on each cylinder just behind the intake valve. As the piston moves down on the intake stroke, the cylinder fills with a fresh air/fuel charge. A vacuum is also created in the YICS chamber at the same time. When the intake valve closes, part of the charge is drawn into the YICS. When the intake valve reopens the mixture in the YICS shoots back out through an angled tube into the cylinder, mixing with and swirling the main intake charge. The swirling charge is then compressed and ignited, burning more completely and producing more power than that of a conventional engine."

read the post for even more info

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020