1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ550 Maxim Seering Stem Bearings

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tom Baker, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Tom Baker

Tom Baker New Member

Hi there. Newbie here. I just built a trike and used the fork assembly from an 2 XJ550J (I think).

First question, how can I be sure of the year and model? It came off a Yamaha with a 550 cc motor.

I need to replace the steering stem bearings as there is considerable up and down play on the push/pull test. My supplier wants me to rip everything apart and get part numbers off the existing bearings. I don't really want to start ripping everything apart if I don't have replacement bearings in hand.

Second question, did these come with ball or tapered roller bearings.

And third question, What are the dimensions of the existing bearings or what were the original part numbers? IMG_20190820_151931.jpg IMG_20190823_105327.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

original bearings are ball bearings and will fall out when you remove the front end.

look like maxim 550 forks disc on left swirl wheel. the way the headlight has directionals on the sides. built in risers on the top fork clamp.

this site has the bearings roller type and part number that most suppliers use. also has a bearing size chart.
    https://www.allballsracing.com/

is the headstock from a 550 it will have the vin number to help ID the forks.

something does look odd about the right side where the axle is

3. XJ550H

Had a little free time on your hands? dump body?

4. Tom Baker

Tom Baker New Member

It's built on a Lifan factory trike frame. I scrounged a Lifan 250 single cylinder, a Lifan tank, an axle from an old Avanti trike and 215/50R13's for rear rubber. The various other parts are mostly Lifan. The whole build so far has cost me $1,885 US including lawyer fees and registration. I'll be turning it into a mobile hot dog cart.

5. Tom Baker

Tom Baker New Member

Does anyone know the actual size of the press in bearing races top and bottom? I have no front brakes and I need to adapt a front fork set easily available in Belize. There is a local Chinese brand called Meilun that has an ML250-4 Meilun Cyclone. I think I might be able to swap the whole triple tree over but I need to know the head stock bearing race sizes...

6. XJ550H

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020