1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 Maxim keeps frying solenoids

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ-Kirk, Mar 11, 2020.

1. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

My apologies if this was covered in a previous post, but I could not find my exact details. I have gone through two starter solenoids in a very short time frame. I do have painted bars and I saw where that will affect my ground so I will fix that. But here is my SYMPTOM: The bike will start easily and ride. But, after a few rides or miles (let's say 20 - 30 starts), the starter will engage on it's own without pushing the button (last night while riding). Then eventually fries the solenoid. Should I start with cleaning the starter?

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I would start with the ignition button

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1 ^^^^
    Cleaning the contacts and connectors on these bikes will save a lot of trouble shooting. It will also help the bikes electrical systems work better. Take the time to clean those contacts and wire connectors up with some dielectric grease.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

look at your diode block and check your oil level switch and confirm your oil light works.

I drained the oil on my bike and wanted to test the oil level switch . turned on key just expecting to see the light come on and starter spun replaced diode block fixed the issue..

could be your oil switch also sticks on bumps compounding above problem or the wire from it is shorting to motor

as far as the button goes check the control and see if the blue/white wire to starter button is shorting to ground inside control and along harness

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what are you buying for a solinoid? that could be the issue too a bump and contacts bounce then arc together

6. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I've found the spring at the back of the starter button gets weak with age. Happened on my XS, but simply and cheaply replaced.