1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

quarantine thoughts

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Polock, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Dabbling in philosophy now. Interesting subject it is.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

4. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Franz likes this.
  5. 50gary

50gary Active Member

"The major news outlets are not exaggerating for the sake of producing a panic or generating ratings. Look at foreign news sources if you don't believe the sources in your own nation, paying particular notice to news outlets run by (or associated with) medical professional organizations."
    This is exactly what is happening, exactly. Trump keeps saying "we are fighting an invisible enemy". and that's it. plan to wreck the economy by shutting it down. Dr. Fouci says 11 months! that would be the end of this country as we knew it (past tense)
    The virus is real the reaction to it is not, it's manufactured and grossly exaggerated for political effect.
    Note: Keep an eye on British PM Boris Johnson. he's in ICU. I believe this will be an indicator.
    I also drink Bourbon (Evan Williams single barrel) with a splash of water to open it up. I still don't know what "branch water" is?
    Cheers, 50gary

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Water from a clear running stream.

7. k-moe

Well that would be because they don't classify it as an influenza.

See: NBK8174

Specifically: Table

Influenza viruses are types of Orthomyxovirus

Covid19 is a specific new type of Coronavirus, which is an entirely different family.

The symptoms and effects of Covid19 can be flulike, but the virus itself is not at all like the flu, which is what makes it far more worrisome (due in large part to a very small percentage of people having antibodies to it, or even antibodies that can prevent it from being passed on even when no symptoms occur). Coronaviruses mutate relatively rapidly.

Prudence says to follow CDC guidelines and buy time for a vaccine and/or effective treatment to be developed (preferably one that isn't as risky as no treatment at all).
    The hospitals in Italy were overwhelmed because the government wated too long to inact social distancing protocols. The same happened in New York state. Let's not allow that to happen in any other state of this union.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Or get a root canal or any other emergency dental procedures...…..or have they changed that stupid order?

In either case, I feel your pain...…

I don't get it, it creates fevers, neurological symptoms, upper and then lower respiratory infections (pneumonia)…...sure sounds like a flu to me.

The CDC and WHO are full of crap, they're bureaucratic cesspools and are part of the problem (a big part...…..). Hell, the WHO basically has a genocidal maniac as it's head. And remember the WHO down-played the whole thing up until the point it became embarrassing to do so. The CDC can't tell $hit from shinola. Fauci and Brix are up to their eyeballs in the entire sordid, ugly, playing-politics LACK OF RESPONSE to the AIDS outbreak back in the '80 which went on for a full 10 years before there was even a treatment, never mind any vaccine. Besides smallpox, polio, and a few others, there are exactly ZERO successful "vaccines" for viruses, besides immunity created by exposure (ie.. you get it and get over it).

So why in the world would I have any level of trust or confidence in anything that those bozo's say, given their track record? I couldn't give a Flying Wet Crap about their models, they didn't work then, they aren't working now, and my best guess is that they won't work in the future.

Social distancing is exactly the wrong solution, which is, unfortunately, exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of hacks and political boot-lickers and status-seekers.

Here, here's another insight, from someone who also has also has a lot of credentials:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGC5sGdz4kg

Perhaps the most salient point: "I'm not paid by the government so I am actually paid to do science".

Another one (hey, he's from Stanford, he must have a at least some basis for his opinons), he's not on TV every day but maybe he's not trying to "sell" you something):

P.S. k-moe my disagreements are not personal, I hope you know that!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Len, I think you should take an infectious disease class. My wife just did as she needs education to keep renewing her nursing license. I think you have the wrong end of the stick on a number of things. Take a deep breath and distance and stay safe. Covid-19 is far more easy to spread than some people are willing to accept. Just because it has some symptoms that are similar to influenza, doesn't make it the same. Like a motorcycle engine, there are levels of understanding. Peace.

10. raskal

raskal Active Member

Statements like this show (and others you've posted) that there is absolutely no facts that will change your mind
    You are dead set that what you think right now is correct
    You find sources that back up your current beliefs and dismiss those that don't without trying to understand what that source tells you
    That fact that New York is contemplating mass graves for the dead seems to not sway you at all

Kickaha likes this.
  11. k-moe

Absolutely. I would never even question that.

Timbox likes this.
  12. k-moe

FWIW South Korea used what they learned from dealing with MERS, and eveyone wore masks right off the bat, as well as instituted social distancing (though without stay at home orders) and testing. They have the lowest per-capita infection an death rates in the world despite being one of the first nations to show infections.
    If the U.S. had responded as quickly (in January when we should have) we might not have needed to issue stay at home orders and the peak of infections might have already passed.
    We are where we are, and changing the manner of response at this time will likely increase the rate of transmission and make the peak load on hospitals worse.

raskal likes this.
  13. chacal

Of course it's easy to spread, but so is the common cold. Most people get it, feel a little or a lotta bad for a while, and get over it. 99+% of them. This particular virus....note the common cold is also a viral infection.....follows a similar pattern. And people who are most at risk --- advanced age and/or with significant or multiple complicating factors (heart disease, COPD, renal problems, obesity, diabetes, etc.) can and do get very sick and die from all viral diseases that lead to respiratory problems.

Once again: seasonal flu kills 30 - 80,000 people per year in the USA, and no one, but no one runs around in a hysterical panic about. No one demands 30,000 ventilators to battle the outbreak. NO ONE EVEN SUGGESTED LOCKING DOWN THE ENTIRE WORLD (!) TO COMBAT IT IN 2018, 2012, 1994, 1982, etc. Has anyone stopped to ask themselves why? Is it too uncomfortable a question to contemplate?

I live in Atlanta, in a neighborhood that has many current and former CDC employees, and interact with some of them on various levels. The "average" (worker-bee) employees are bright, dedicated people who are curious and competent and generally beyond reproach. The leadership is full of crap, are political hacks, and at best incompetent and probably corrupt. They are career bureaucrats, not technicians...….the same type of people who ruin other large organizations (think GM and Chrysler). The head of WHO is another jerk-off first class, here's the NY Times on him from 2017:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/...ector-general-ethiopia-cholera-outbreaks.html

if you don't want to join to read the rest of it, here's the full version:

https://www.opride.com/2017/05/11/case-director-general-candidate-tedros-adhanom

This is the guy in charge of the WORLD Health Organization, right.

“We'll know that our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.”
    - William Casey, Director of the CIA, 1981-87
    from his first staff meeting in 1981

This is the words of the top dog. Take it however you wish.

"Contemplating" is the key word. Three weeks ago they were "contemplating" 500K dead. The goal is to frighten and scare people. And it's working...……

MERS is different; this isn't MERS or SARS. Social distancing (except for the highly at-risk groups, as previously stated) is the worst idea possible; here I'll cue-up the video at the relevant time so you only have to listen to less than a minute of it....correction, when this website re-formats youtube video links, it drops the "time-stamping" feature, so go to the 11:50 mark in the video for the important 2-minute segment:

The reality is that almost every action being taken is contradictory to what should be done to deal with a highly transmissible, very benign version of "influenza" or however it should be categorized. Hence my original statement: either there is something VERY MAJOR and VERY SERIOUS that we're not being told (what? and why not? would be the logical questions if this is the situation) or there is ANOTHER AGENDA that is being pursued, and thus the need for the charade.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  14. k-moe

It's been demonstrated over and over again that governments are not very good at working together across jurisdictions to get anything done (both internationally and on the local/federal level), nor are they good at keeping secrets. This is what it appears to be (a pandemic outbreak of a novel and naturally occuring virus), and nothing more.

dkavanagh likes this.
  15. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

The flu has vaccines that are developed each year to fight the current strain. Hopefully seniors and those at risk take advantage of that. Covid-19 is new and there is no vaccine. THAT... is the difference here. If left to run rampant you would have many more catching it and getting sick and hopefully recovering and becoming immune to some extent, but also many, many more would die. Would you risk your grandparents or elderly, in poor health parents to get sick so they can become immune? No, and that is the reason for handling this situation the way is being handled.

k-moe likes this.
  16. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

That, and that some go directly to double pneumonia, which is serious and hard to recover from if there are co-morbidities.

k-moe likes this.
  17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I hope they can get a vaccine as soon as possible.

k-moe likes this.
  18. chacal

Disagree strongly, and let's make sure we recognize that "governments" are simply made up of PEOPLE, and people do all sorts of things together and in collusion (in the literal, not the valuative sense of the word)...sometimes successfully, other times not. Yes, there are idiots and morons in "government", there are also weasels, scam artists, hucksters, malicious power-hungry reprobates, etc. Just look at the current and any past crop of ELECTED employees, who tend to more-or-less have a spotlight on them (at least occasionally). Now think of the ones who live in the shadows, who have perhaps even more pull and influence than elected officials. Know what a "lobbyist" is? They aren't even elected...…..

Again, I think this is what people are being TOLD, but novel viruses have happened before (https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/flu/current/novel.html#Example1) and we didn't shut down the world for it. As far as naturally-occurring is concerned, well, may I interest you in some oceanfront property in Tulsa?

CRISPR is your future...…

See above.

Exactly! It's what happens with every virus, and is how immunity is created, and how the virus is driven out of circulation. Works the same way as a (non-existent) vaccine works...….only much quicker, much more targeted, much more precise.

Which is exactly what is going to happen if you eliminate the benign version of the virus via isolation and let the much more lethal strains survive...…..if you think this is bad, just wait until next flu season.

No, and that's why people with special risk profiles should take special precautions AS IS USUALLY DONE (or should be) WITH SEASONAL FLU.

No, it's not. The procedures and protocols for handling seasonal flu or viral respiratory illnesses are well-established, well-known, and typically work well. That's the reason that is being given, but perhaps that's not true, at all. If so, can you think of what other reasons might be valid?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  19. chacal

You don't even have to "keep secrets", you can just use the slop and natural grayness of "the system" to goal-seek the answers you want to either: a) downplay a result, or b) create the level of hysteria you desire. Think of it as a volume knob, if you have an ulterior motive that needs to be satisfied. Here's how the fear-factor is done:

You can go to about the 11:00 mark to start if you want your eyes opened.

20. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I think everyone needs to see that 1st video @chacal referenced "Perspectives on the Pandemic"
    The world likely made a very big mistake in their handling of this.
    I liked his comment, "I don't work for the government, so I'm actually able to practice science".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.