1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Badly pitted 83 seca 900 fork tubes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rasput, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Rasput

Rasput Member

So I have an 83 seca 900 with inner fork tubes that have some pretty bad spots causing the seals to leak. I'm guessing that my options are to, A- get them re-hardchromed (no idea of anyone who does that in my area), B- replace them (very pricey), or C- swap them with an upgraded front end off of something else (no clue what would be compatible). Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. S10gto

S10gto Member

Ebay. There is a set on now for under $150 with $40 shipping. Pics look to be in good shape.

3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Dependng on your long-term use.. D- clean degrease and fill pits with super-glue - use a cocktail stick magnifying glass to get detailed view - rub back with 800 grit. Fit gaitors.

4. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

as , a100man , says , done this several times now, its probably a 3to4 year fix but it works well.
    the first time , take the fork legs off, and keep them as a unit. you only need to work on the "swept part " of the fork tube.
    get a fine file , and gentle file all rust spots , level with the tube. then apply superglue to all rust bits, let dry for 24 hours , then rub down with 1200 grit wet and dry , carefully, until all is smooth with fork tubes,
    I've had great success with this method , no leaks , and passed the yearly mot inspection.
    give it a try.
    stu

5. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    get a fine file , and gentle file all rust spots , level with the tube.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    just to confirm, that would be a narrow flat needle file, just on the rust spots.
    stu

6. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I would think de-rusting the spots before covering with glue would be a good idea too.

7. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Done that before, worked fine, still weren't leaking a few years later

8. Rasput

Rasput Member

So the fork tubes I took off my bike are in very rough shape pitting wise, but the good news is that I have a spare set and I looked them over this morning and there are just a few rust spots. I'm gonna try the superglue method. Maybe I'll do a write up if there isn't one. Thanks for the info guys.

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Pictures needed! This would be a great "how-to".