1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

actual, tyre width?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, May 10, 2020.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all,
    I am doing some modifications to a xj600 euro model, I am wanting to put a wider and smaller rear wheel on it, I managed to source a wheel and drum brake off a yx600 radian 3.50x 16, the wheel fits in great with everything lining up with a bit of spacer machining, my question is how wide is a 130 x16 rear tyre.
    yes I know it should be 130mm, but the original wheel tyre, is a 120mm and that measures 128mm. I have about 6mm clearance to the drive chain,
    can anyone that has a 130 rear tyre please measure the actual width for me ,and what make of tyre it is.
    thanks ,stu.

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

6mm to chain that would be 12mm potential width increase. Therefore using the 128mm as reference 128 + 12 = 140mm, meaning you could (in theory) have a 140mm tire?
    I have the rear off my '82 XJ 750 Maxim at my shop, I'll measure it later today.
    Cheers, 50gary

3. bensalf

yes thanks 50gary, that's what I make it, but would be good to know any differences in manufacturers.
    thanks

4. bensalf

can anyone help, ?----- "pretty please" :)
    stu