1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600/FJ600 51J Project Advice

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ciarán, May 12, 2020.

1. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum but have been reading and searching through old posts to try and inform myself on this model - I recently purchased one as a non running project. It was the right price (bikes are expensive in Ireland and it was about as cheap a project bike as I could find). My timing was 'excellent' as I paid a deposit the day before travel restrictions were introduced here - so I haven't been able to get it delivered yet.

The bike is a 1990 (manufactured 1989) Yamaha XJ600/FJ600 (US designation). It has an interesting past - the first registered owner was the Revenue Commissioners - I can only assume the tax men of the day had an internal courier service given the sensitive information they might carry. It would also explain the full luggage set with the bike. The bike is not starting at present but was low mileage and when hooked up to a battery by the owner did turn over. I foolishly didn't take photos/video.

So my plans for the project (my first) are more or less a faithful restoration of the bike with a little bit of resto-modding to boot. I actually like the styling of the bike and also hope to avoid larger jobs requiring skill sets and expensive tools I don't have (like fabrication and welding of a subframe for a cafe racer conversion etc.). I intend to make the following upgrades (once/if I can get it running well) anyway:
    • Switch to led lighting (may look in to a full re-wire but the thought of this scares the **** out of me);
    • Fit progressive springs;
    • Fitting a Marving exhaust to replace the rotten one on it at present;
    • Rebuild the brakes; and
    • Fit braided lines.
    If I get adventurous I may attempt to make a new fender, chainguard, and side covers down the line.

I'm seeking advice on:
    • Minor/low cost modifications to the bike that will freshen it up - In particular if there are parts from newer bikes that fit without requiring modification (or very minor modifications) I'd love to hear about them; and/or
    • You know of common issues/mods to these bikes that are seen as necessary/advisable upgrades.
    Thanks for any comments guys. I'll update the thread when I get my hands on her and get stuck in to working on it.

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Hi
    I had one of these from 1 year old in 91 It was a follow on to the 550 I had as a student. But to be honest back then I just ride it and didn't do much maintenance other than oil changes. Unlike you I didn't really like the looks and that's maybe why I now have a 550/600 hybrid ;-)

Other things I think you will have to add to your 'to do' list are:

Thoroughly clean the carburetors (well known on here) and check/set the valve clearances, If its been standing for a while a compression test won't hurt - just t see what youve got. Finally you might want to dismantle strip and clean the fiendishly complicated rear shock linkage and change fork oil.

They bike is an honest machine of the era but a bit thirsty if I recall. There aren't any performance upgrade s worth bothering about that i know of.

Have fun with it.

3. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Thanks for the feedback - it's very much appreciated. Yeah, I expect to replace pretty much all rubber components, seals, oils, plugs, as part of getting it properly roadworthy. I bought a kit to run compression tests but this bike will be the first time I'll have done anything more than fit braided brake lines and change brake pads! I'm sure a carb rebuild will be required and I'm considering going to pod filters for a neater look on the bike (research required on my part).

There's a tank dent that I'll try fix but replacement tanks seem to be available for smallish money if the repair doesn't work. The bike will also need to be repainted but I'm considering doing a rattle can job as judging by forums, some good youtube channels etc. it seems good enough with a bit of patience. I'll have to get deep in to some Moto Guzzi research to find the paint code I want though (I had a Moto Guzzi as my first bike and I want to reuse the specific red paint). I'm also curious if you guys use ultrasonic cleaners often? I've seen some decent results and I may have plenty of use for it between this bike and the fact that I'm being gifted a Honda CD175 by an uncle in the next few months/years depending on how this lockdown goes!

I am not looking for performance gains in terms of speed - I have a GSX1250FA which has more than enough go. I am more concerned about handling, braking performance gains to be honest.

Just got word back from a courier and he thinks he can manage a delivery Saturday - to say I'm excited is an understatement - in particular as I drool over the amazing work on this forum.

4. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

performance upgrades will not be needed if you get it running right, I've got 3 of these now and 2 spare engines, and believe me ,in the higher rev range ,it will jerk your arms, so much you need to hold on tight. 75bhp, is ample , a good upgrade is to replace the fusebox with a blade type.
    if you can find my build thread , which is ( bensalf's 4 year café racer build ) if it still exists ,you will get some ideas.
    I built an under seat tray to house all the electrics ,
    i'll se if I can find the threads.
    stu

5. bensalf

6. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Haha, I was drooling over your bike in that thread yesterday - stunning result without a doubt! Yeah, when I say performance I mean more along the lines of suspension/braking etc. I know people sometimes buy front ends from newer models to benefit from more modern suspension and brakes etc. (which if you're lucky can nearly be cheaper than refurbishing original parts). Doesn't seem to apply to XJ600s as far as I can see.

I'm petrified of handling the electrics but when I eventually have to I was looking at some of the motogadget stuff - pricey but seem very popular. As for the exhaust, it keeps telling me it's spam like if I try to post a link but they're available at Wemoto. They're steep enough at £428 but the exhaust on what I've bought is completely rotten and I don't feel right slapping a second hand and possibly half rotten exhaust on it to save a few quid.

Overall I hope to spend <€2000 on bringing the bike up to a very nice standard. Given that a quarter of that budget is going on the exhaust immediately I'm not too sure how that'll stack up over time.
    I've already spent about €200 on various service parts and a Haynes manual. I've managed to arrange delivery for Saturday afternoon/evening. If it's not too late my plan is to do some initial photos - then do a very very thorough clean.

My plan of action is, on Sunday, to try and get it to run by (I'd really appreciate advice if I'm missing something obvious here):
    • Installing the new battery;
    • Oil change;
    • New filters (oil and air);
    • New spark plugs.
    The tank was empty as far as I know and I saw the owner put fresh petrol in when trying to get it to fire up when viewing it. Hopefully the carbs are functioning enough to allow it to start and possibly run for a minute or two (I intend to rebuild the carbs over the next few weeks). If I can get it to run I want to handle drive and suspension tasks early on so I might do the front end rebuild first - then rear brake, chain and sprockets. All going well I can take it for a short and very slow test ride at that stage without risking wrapping myself around a tree.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  7. bensalf

ah, glad you were able to view the thread,
    oil and filters can be obtained from M&P at £25 for 4 litres of putoline super dx4 with free filter, dunno what accessability to postal services is like in Ireland.
    new battery depends on where you're going to put it, seat hump for a café racer is good , but space is limited.
    this was my second xj600 build.

8. bensalf

sorry ive forgotten how to post a picture, I have them on my laptop but photobucket wiped them of the web
    how do I do it without uploading?
    stu

9. a100man

Stu, I was prompted by the link to scan through your project again..
    I'm part way through welding up (badly) some 'chambers' on a GT250 and was wondering who made your exhaust headers?

Cheers

10. bensalf

it was a firm in hull, they mainly do stainless steel fabricating for the food industry, I was put on to them by a friend of mine, so I only have a first name and a mobile number, apart from visiting their workshop. they do bike fabricating in their spare time, so stuff takes a while, but that was about 6 years ago.
    if you're interested i'll give you their details, the headers were £300
    stu

11. a100man

Thanks Stu (sorry Cairan about thread hijack).. Probably too rich for me. I can probably pick up some batterd ebay exhausts and cut off the headers.. I'Ll be painting them anyway so while stainless would b great it would be a bit of a luxury.

12. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Thanks for the feedback. For now not planning anything fancy with electrics or moving the battery to the seat hump. I may decide down the line to turn the bike into something with more of a vintage racer look but that will mainly be achieved with clip-ons and rear sets (I have seen some universal ones that could possibly work nicely). I'm mainly focused on a restoration with a few adjustments to modernise the bike of improve it's performance (progressive shocks and braided lines in particular).

@a100man - no worries about the thread highjack. Cool for me to hear some of this stuff and it's keeping the thread alive. All going well the bike arrives tomorrow so I'll be able to get some pics up - it's definitely a project as it has been sitting for years in a shed.

13. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Hope the images below work through google photos. The bike arrived late Saturday night so there wasn't anything I could do besides park it. Sunday was primarily a day of repeated cleaning. The bike was washed end to end 3/4 times - each time improving some part of its appearance or removing some other bit of grime. Frankly, I'm amazed at the condition of some parts. I removed the engine guard (unnecessary weight and it was rotten), also removed various brackets for top box and panniers. With some difficulty I managed to roll it from the garage to my workshop space and took off the tank to access all the spark plugs. As far as I can tell the interior of the tank is remarkably clean but it merits more investigation. I've identified a few missing bolts (spare pieces from previous mechanical work no doubt! Most worryingly the bolt for retaining the fuel tank - which was essentially held on by gravity and the fuel line!). While I was working on it I threw in the HiFlo air filter I had to hand but the one in it was actually in alright shape.

I have new fuel line, fuel filter, and various small tools on the way. I hope to be in a position to fit the new spark plugs, battery, fuel line and filters this weekend and to do an oil change too. With some luck I may be able to fire it up by Sunday next.

IMG-20200516-WA0004.jpeg [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  14. bensalf

ciar'an, do you have pictures of the engine bars and rear rack and brackets, I think I may like to buy them off you , if youre not going to use them,
    it'll get you some cash to do some jobs.
    stu

15. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm trying to use an xj/fj600 airbox on my 650 maxim, I previously fitted a set of 600 mikuni carbs and they work well (very well actually), but I fancied the 600 airbox. It fits the frame (with some shifting around of the electrics and removing the maxim airbox top bracket), fits the carbs and looks better than the 650 airbox as well as being way bigger.
    But, it interferes with the clutch cable. Do you think you could post up a pic of how Yamaha solved this please? I'm thinking take it over and behind the airbox.

16. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

I'll have a look at the route tomorrow and take some pictures for you.

17. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

I'd nearly feel bad selling it all to you, in particular the engine guard, the chrome on it looks terrible. The panniers weren't fitted when I got it so I can't promise all of the necessary bracketry is there but most of it seems to be. I'll gather it up tomorrow and try post some pics for you so you can figure out if they're something you're really interested in.

18. bensalf

ok, ciar'an, thanks , i'm not worried about chrome, I would be refinishing them,
    cheers.
    as regards the clutch cable, on the 600 the cable runs down the front r/h frame downtube , then across the top of the r/h engine cover.
    the clutch actuator arm lies in top of the clutch case. does the 650 actuator sit at the back of the case, in which case then I could see it interfering on the airbox.
    stu

19. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Hi, I'll upload some pics to illustrate the state of the engine guards. I think the boxes are probably too far gone. The lock on one refused to open and the frame itself seems to be warped. You can see damage to the fibreglass in the pictures. It also seems to be missing one bracket but I'm sure it would be possible to fabricate one.

In the absence of having a few key tools to crack on I've started polishing the wheels (don't worry they'll come off in time and be done properly). I just didn't want to be idle this evening so started cleaning up the more accessible parts to make life easier down the line.

@Minimutly Insofar as I have access to the clutch cable, bensalf's description seems spot on.

Attached Files:

20. bensalf

ciar'an , yes I would like to buy all the metal parts, ( don't need the boxes ). if you could let me know how much you want for them -plus postage e.t.c.
    I can arrange payment , thanks
    stu