1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Shipping a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Eric Hughes, May 24, 2020.

1. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

So I just bought a 82 xj650 from eBay and it’s located in Pennsylvania about 500 miles from me in North Carolina. Do any of you hav experience shipping a bike that distance? I’m trying to round up a truck and maybe just go get it. Truthfully I wasn’t expecting to win it, but I did and now I just gotta figure how to get it.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You will have to look around and do some price checking. Make sure they are insured just in case something does happen. I have head flat rates cost to cost as low as $450 but I am not sure if that is open shipping or inside a closure. Good luck and let use know how it works out for you.

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I'll bet you can buy a trailer and tie downs for less than what you'll be quoted.

5. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

U-Haul trailer.... $16 / day

Rusty81 likes this.
  6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I’ve done everything from rent a truck, rent a trailer, and recently had a Seca shipped with UShip. Renting a truck was always the cheapest but make sure you have help to load. Trailer isn’t bad either but not as convenient as just driving a truck. I had a great experience with UShip, was $350 for 400 mile trip. Most expensive option but I didn’t have any free time to make that trip.

7. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

I will likely be going with UShip for the convenience factor. I'd have to take two days to do it and rent a truck that I know would make the trip. Probably a bit cheaper but, I'll pay a little extra to have it show up at my house. I'll update as it goes.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

It was super convenient. If the seller is not in a hurry, be patient as it will take a couple days for bids to roll in. Shippers have a rating that you can read up on. I’ll see if I still have the info on the guy who brought mine, husband wife team who were super friendly and very cautious with my stuff.

9. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Update. I did go the uShip.com route and it worked out pretty well. cost about $400 with insurance to get from PA to NC. Scheduling was a bit weird and got pushed a day for unknown reasons. I took delivery at 10:30 PM. If availability is tight at the pickup and drop off locations it may not be the best or just make sure your shipper is aware. Over all not bad and saved me 16 hours on the road.

Rusty81 likes this.
  10. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats on the purchase! We all like pictures and are here to help!