1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 XJ700 Rear Wheel Sound

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by immy, May 26, 2020.

1. immy

immy New Member

Hi All,

I was finally scared by the forum enough to start my brake rebuild. Yesterday I did the rear brake shoes, thanks to an order from chacal (thanks as always Len!)

This was my first time removing the rear wheel, though I know it was removed less than 2 years ago by Yamaha for new tires. Everything seemed well greased. I wasn't too sure of myself in putting it back on, as it seemed like there was still a lot of space on the castle nut side. After wiggling for a while it seemed to fit much better, so I sealed everything up. Wheel looks straight, spins free, and brakes work.

With the bike off, when I spin the wheel by hand I hear a light click. I'm not sure if it was there before I started, or if it's anything more serious, but given the wealth of information on this forum I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Here's a video of the sound with the bike off:

And here's a video of the wheel back on and in gear on center stand:

Anyone have any idea as to what that sound it? It seems to be coming from the final drive area.

Thanks!

2. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Immy,

Nothing to be alarmed about. It's the sound of the slight clearance in the final drive ring and pinion and normal.
    Make sure you check the brake light switch adjustment after the lever travel is set.

Tony

3. immy

immy New Member

Thanks for the reply, Tony. Glad it's nothing to worry about!

I did the light adjustment as well, so all good. Seems like the PO left out the pinch bolt, so I'll be ordering one of those from Len along with caliper rebuild kits.