1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 Maxim X, It doesn't turn off

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jonhohlf, Jun 8, 2020.

1. jonhohlf

jonhohlf New Member

My 85 Maxim X doesn't turn off when the key is switched off, the engine stays running. The tail light does shut off. Has anyone else experienced this before. Looking for pointers before I start digging into it.

Jon

2. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Jon,

Actually had the same issue on mine a few years back. Turned out to be the wires melted together at the connector for the ignition switch. Pulling the fuses did not help because I found the feed wire to the switch (red) was feeding the brown wire that supposed to power up everything with the key on. You can pull the main fuse but then can't run the bike.

Remove the headlight and look through the "rats nest" of wiring and find that three pin connector (red,brown and blue wires). See if there's an issue there and get back to us.

Tony

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  3. jonhohlf

jonhohlf New Member

Thanks Tony, I will check that out.

4. jonhohlf

jonhohlf New Member

Thank you again Tony, the 3 pin plug itself was melted and fused the connectors together, found the problem in the first place I looked with your help!

Jon

5. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Well lots of current going through that connector and if it gets corroded, creates a high resistance point, then heats up and melts.

This looks like a good source for the original style connector/terminals that you could replace it with:
    http://www.cycleterminal.com/250-connectors.html#SC250

Tony