1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 550 project bike big advise thread!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Chess, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Chess

Chess New Member

I have recently been fixing a 1982 Xj550 but I've hit some snags. Instead of making separate threads on every issue I thought I'd make one and collect all my questions here.

I think that I'll start of with some carburetor questions.

104308105_267274008061355_7887750556758397057_n.jpg The diaphragms looks quite wonky. Im guessing that I need to change them. Do I need to change it complete with sliders or may I just change the rubber part?

Next question: I got curios and removed one of the needles from the slider just to check how they are mounted. But now I cant get the needle to align properly and now the needle keeps snagging and preventing the slider to move properly. I have tried several times to get it straight again but I cant seem to get it right. Is there any trick to get it in right?

Regards
    Chess

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that's about how they all look, just so it has no holes it will work fine.

3. Chess

Chess New Member

Thanks! Great you just saved me around €110!

Then I will try to get the needle right tomorrow and get it scrutinized. Then it will be legal to ride! Nice!

Waiting for a big box of parts to come for the build! Looking forward to start personalising it!

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

@ XJ550H, tell us about the slide needle on mikuni's is the needle tilted like the hitachi's

5. Chess

Chess New Member

It turned out to be a mistake on my part! I had over-tightened the two screws that holds the needle. Once I backed them of a bit everything worked great again!

Next thought.. I know that this is a controversial one! Airbox removal! I want the classic open triangle look. That means no more original airbox. But I don't really like to go with pods or velocity stacks as I would like to do something different. So my idea would be to make my own airbox and use a automotive "ring airfilter". I made some quick drawings to show my idea. They are absolutely not proportional or to scale, just something a whipped up quickly.

luftbox2.png Luftbox3.png
    Is this design something that you think would give me problems? I thought I'd make it with a inner wall so there is a "slot" to put the filter in. Solid front and back plate with webbing all around so that it only sucks air from the side wall and therefore thru the filter.

Would you guys use a proper airfilter luftfilter1.jpg like this type or just stuff the slot with filter foam?

Best regards
    Chess

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Over tightening the screws won’t do that—— not having the little nub of the needle indexed correctly will. You need to rotate the needle while gently pulling on it til you feel the little nub seat into the corresponding hole. Then the spring and plastic perch will sit under the metal plate that gets snugged down. The need will have a slight play when it is seated correctly.

7. Chess

Chess New Member

Which way should the spring be mounted? The plastic up or down? I might made a mistake mounting it.

8. hogfiddles

The plastic “hat shaped thing” looks just like a hat on the needle. The spring sits around the top of the hat.

9. Chess

Chess New Member

I'll look at it tomorrow..

Any thoughts about my airbox idea?

10. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

The whole airbox thing is cloaked in mystery. In fact I'd go far as to say no-one really knows. Some claim to have good results using pods and up-jetting the carbs, some have not bee so lucky but it's hard to tell as there are so many variables in involved including exhaust changes. No-one here is going to say 'great that will work fine' on your idea. Give it a try though, be a pioneer! If you can utilise teh stock carb rubbers that feature a kind of 'velocity stack', that will be to your advantage I believe.

11. Chess

Chess New Member

Well, fortune favors the brave I guess!

Smart idea withe the carb rubbers! I'll start designing. Being CV carbs I guess that the surface area of the inlet on the airbox is quite important aswell!

12. Chess

Chess New Member

Hi, it's me again!

I've stumbled on to a little issue. I'm trying to buy a new speedometer for my 550 -82. But I can't seem to find the gear ratio anywhere. The most common on Asian bikes seems to be 60 kmh at 1400 and that would be around a k=1,4.

Is that correct?

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

xj650 Maxim will fit as direct replacment setup. early ones have mechanical tach

SPudzy V2 likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

That’s if it’s a 550 maxim. The 550 seca cluster is also cable drive but I’m not quite sure that the tach itself interchanges.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

speedometer-and-tachometer-ratios-once-and-for-all.38405

16. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Guess he got what he needed... Not so big of info thread as I thought... lol