1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn key, nothing happens

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Jun 27, 2020.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Hey guys! My bike has been running great until a few minutes ago. I started it up to warm it up for a ride. I didn't have the choke on quite enough and it died. When I go to start it back, the neutral light went out and it won't do anything now. Turned the key and other switch off and back on...nothing. I checked the fuses which are the new updated fusebox from Chacal...all good. I checked the battery...12.89 volts. Why am I not getting any power? What do I need to check now? It's beautiful and I want to go ride, but I'm stuck in the driveway. Please help.

2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Check the kill switch is in the on position.

3. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Yes, when I turn the key on and the other switch above the starter button on, no lights come on and the starter button does nothing. It did that without me touching anything except the starter button to restart it.

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I just noticed that hooking the multimeter up to the battery I get 12.89 volts but as soon as I turn the key on that drops to 0.2 volts. Does that mean I have a short somewhere? Is it common for the ignition switch to short out? How do I find where or what this is? Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me.

5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

If you have a short across the battery and there is no fuse in the circuit you will have a fire, no more bike.
    I suspect your battery terminals need tightening, or the battery has just failed.

Get a short length of wire, and brush it across the battery - take care, if the bat is good it will melt the cable. If it doesn't, battery is failed.

waldreps likes this.
  6. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

The battery terminals are tight and the battery tests fine...12.89 volts... until I turn the key on and then it drops. It's a pretty new AGM battery and holds a charge great. I have the updated fuse box so there are fuses and none are blown. It may not be a short...that was just a guess.

7. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Wel, theres no magic, if the battery voltage really drops to nothing when you turn the key, then it is fried my friend. No doubt about it.

waldreps likes this.
  8. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

You may be right as I'm no battery expert but I don't see how a battery can be dead if it shows 12.89 volts, worked perfectly fine to start and suddenly quit on a restart. Like I said, maybe you're right but this battery is fairly new and has been kept topped up during this past winter and had worked perfectly till this. It just sounds like something else happened to me like a short or something. I've never had a battery not show signs of going bad before it dies. Thanks for the reply and I'll keep the battery in mind as I look at other things as well.

9. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

You could use a known good battery. A car battery for example. Jump start your bike from the car. Do not have the car running when jump starting. A volt meter dose not put a load on the battery when testing. Use a heavy draw device on the bike battery like a headlight or horn that you know that works.

waldreps likes this.
  10. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Apparently Minimutly was correct... I'm sorry I doubted your advice. The battery is bad. I have a load tester and it shows bad battery... Like not weak but totally bad. I've never had a battery go from working perfectly to instantly done. I guess something shorted inside the battery. It's a Bikemaster AGM battery with hardly any use on it but over the 1 year warranty. I'm pretty disappointed with that. It worked perfectly till now and held it's charge after sitting better than any battery I've ever had. I wonder if these type batteries always fail instantly without warning like this cause I'd prefer some warning so I could change it instead of being left stuck somewhere.