1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yamaha XJ 900f Cylinder/Jugg Stud Sheathing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Franz, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

I am at the stage of replacing the cylinder juggs on my crankcases. Some of the studs had sheathing on them and I had difficulty removing the cylinder juggs because of it. Have any of you rebuild an engine without replacing the sheathing? What kind of material is the sheathing made out of? I assume it is for sound dampening?

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

I don't think it's crucial and probably only promotes corrosion once it starts cracking. I think some have use heat shrink to replace.

Franz likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Great I thought of heat shrink and I just spoke to Fowlers ten minutes ago and they don't have it so I will finish the build now. Yes it took a bit of work to get the cylinders off my engine.

4. Mezzmo

Mezzmo Active Member

I recently rebuilt my engine and left these studs clean without sheathing. Covering them just promotes moisture and ultimately corrosion. I'm not expecting to have any issues. If fact, I think the sheathing is the cause of most of these becoming difficult to remove...

Franz likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Mine were all corroded so if you are having no problems I will leave them off. Only some of the studs had the covering on them anyway. I watched all your videos Mezzmo nice build. I noticed a blue mark on one of the links of your new starter chain so I assumed correctly the Hi Vo chain can only be installed one way. The Haynes manual warns if refitting a chain to mark the side plate so it is installed the same direction of rotation.