1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket mufflers xj750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ken w, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Ken w

Ken w New Member

I have a 1982 xj750 I’m currently resurrecting,the mufflers are already kind of loose on the pipe and was gonna try tightening them up but I figure maybe I should look into some new mufflers with a little more sound to them, any good suggestions on mufflers that will bolt up easily?

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Some owners fit Harley Davidson Sportster mufflers. Welcome aboard.

Mobius Williams and Ken w like this.
  3. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

Would you happen to have a link to where one could purchase the Sportster mufflers? Or will just any do?

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Mobius Williams likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It is very likely that a PO had the muffleers off and didn't replace the gaskets but usd RTV instead, which would cause them to be a loose fit.

6. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Watch you local Craigslist. Lots of HD owners immediately swap out factory exhaust systems and mufflers.

Mobius Williams, Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  7. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Dyna Fat Bastid XLGBFCMcCoy (real) on mine.
    One thing I discovered, because of the unequal lengths of pipe from the Hardle exhaust ports to the mufflers, the mufflers have a baffle plate internally which is spaced differently on each assembly.
    I knocked those out and frombled up an adjustable baffle (simply a thick washer on a length of 6mm studding) and found the perfect internal position to give decent exhaust flow allied with just the right amount of noise.
    Dead easy, no welding required to do that, but there will be if I decide to make it permanent and better looking. The brackets holding the threaded rod are a bit unsightly at the moment.
    I'd tried running them with no baffle plates at all, just relying on the internal absorbtion of the muffler - it was loud, not social and got to be a bit of a pain in the arris after a while.
    With the adjustable baffle in, the noise level is barely higher than the standard pipes, but with a bit extra gruntiness to it.

Something else worth mentioning - the quality of the chrome on the Hardly mufflers is top. The thickness of the steel is a couple of mm, so it will last for years before it rots out. Far, far better than the cheapy universal megaphone type things you can buy from some of the classic bike outlets.