1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yamaha XJ 900 f Cylinder Cross Hatching

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Franz, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Should I use a hone to remove the glaze from my cylinder juggs when I have not fitted new piston rings? How coarse should the hone be? If I should do this will it affect the piston ring end gap thanks?

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Why not measure the end gap with the the new rings and see how the bores look or better still use an internal gauge if you can lay your hands on one. If they are well within spec then i guss a hone with stones will be a fine. If borderline you can still break the glaze with some 400 grit wet and dry and light oil by hand. Well, that's what I'd do..

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I am refitting the old rings. I will see if I can borrow a internal gauge and check the diameter of the bores. I will check the end gaps of the oil rings too. There is no scoring on the pistons anywhere but I cannot see the hatching on the liners just want to make sure I sort it right when I have the motor apart.

4. a100man

Sorry misread the first message my mind omitted the 'not'.. I don't blame you - new rings for these are a small fortune..

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Easy done. The bike was running well and accelerating well and in the present circumstances I cannot change the rings anyway. When l shine a light on the cylinder wall l can see cross hatching. What do you think? Do the cylinder walls look okay thanks?

15946710527724068394857191345723.jpg 15946710839605677114535407124575.jpg

6. a100man

Looks good to me. Button it up and check compression - I take it you're resealing the valves? Worst case you've lost the price of head gasket..

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes doing the valves and the valve stem oil seals and leave the cylinders as they are. Are the seals a push fit?

8. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

If you are reusing the rings, I wouldn't hone the cylinders, just put the rings back in the cylinder they came out of, they (the rings ) are already seated to the cylinder.

Franz likes this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes it occurred to me to ask about this after l fitted the juggs :( but l have put the same pistons and rings in the bores they came out of. Very pleased engine be completed soon and no broken rings. :D