1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82' XJ750 Seca blows main fuse

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bebothebum, Jul 15, 2020.

1. bebothebum

bebothebum New Member

It blows the main fuse if I flip the red ignition switch on the right side of the handlebars, it was running, I had been figuring out the carbs and chasing an issue in them(throttle shaft seals) when suddenly my bike died and wouldn't start back up. I thought it was an issue with my carbs again so i popped them off, checked on everything, put em back and tried again with nothing, well I check the fuses and my ignition fuse had blown, i replaced it and then it immediately blows my main fuse and now my main fuse blows every time I flip the switch. Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to ride before the end of the season.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

there's a hundred places to look but start in the headlight bucket and around the steering neck for worn insulation
    move the handlebars around to see if anything changes

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start looking for worn-through insulation.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

There might be a smell of warm plastic melting too. As stated above warm or melted insulation will be a good indicator of location of short. Take your time going over the wiring, you will find it with good lighting. Best of luck.

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So the Engine Stop Switch or commonly called the kill switch switching it to run causes the main fuse to blow? That switch feeds power to the ignition circuit and is protected by a 10 amp fuse. There is no way it should cause the main 30 amp fuse to blow unless you have installed incorrectly rated fuses?? Check your fuses for the proper rating, if it turns out you are just blowing a 10 amp ignition fuse things will get easier.

k-moe and Franz like this.
  6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You could check for continuity from the main fuse connection to the feed wires in the headlight bucket with a multimeter. An open circuit there should help you isolate the wire.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you had the fuel tank off when working on carbs pull it off and see if you pinched some wires around the mounts