1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket Cluster for 1982 Xj750 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by HappyFeet, Jul 19, 2020.

1. HappyFeet

HappyFeet New Member

Ive looked through as many threads as I can relating to this but I'm still stumped.
    I bought this motorcycle recently and I always hated the speedo the previous owner put on. (Picture related) IMG_20200719_102135.jpg
    I bought a cheap Chinese one to replace the one on the bike but after taking off the headlights it's a rats nest if wires and was hoping someone could help out.

Here are some pictures of how the wires are inside, many of them were not connect to anything. Also aftermarket turn signal were added and those added wires are marked with a RS or LS
    IMG_20200719_094151.jpg IMG_20200719_094211.jpg IMG_20200719_094226.jpg IMG_20200719_094235__01.jpg
    ( If you need more pictures of the other wires that were were connected I'll can edit some in later)

Also the speedo that was on the bike had was not connect to any thing in there but maybe was at one point. It was just sitting in there like this
    IMG_20200719_102017__01.jpg

This is the the wiring of my new cluster I plan to put on, the stuff that isn't possible to wire up I don't care about.
    Screenshot_20200715-213730__01.jpg

After market lights were wired up. now low beams is off and high beams is on. Here's the wiring
    IMG_20200719_103454__01.jpg

Thank you for any help

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

3. HappyFeet

HappyFeet New Member

I have the Maxim, is the wiring going to be the same as the SECA? I don't know much about these bikes

4. HappyFeet

HappyFeet New Member

If I figure out a wire on a harness is a signal wire for something, the neutral light for example, do I just connect it straight to where my cluster wants it? Or is there some weird trick I have to do for it?

5. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

I doubt anyone here has ever installed that same one you bought and "cheap Chinese" don't come with model-specific installation instructions, so you're going to have to do some trial and error to get the wiring all figured out. Start with following the instructions you have and go from there.