1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Can I do the valve shims while engine is off the bike?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by arborgent, Jul 21, 2020.

1. arborgent

arborgent New Member

I have to remove the engine in order to replace the airbox which was unfortunately mangled by the prev owner.

Might be a dumb question but would it be okay to check the valve clearances and replace shims while the engine is off the bike? I know there's some turning of the crankshaft involved to get the valves in the correct position...didn't know if that would throw anything out of whack doing so while is the engine is not connected to everything.

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Nope, you can do it while it’s out. Will be easier, no frame to work around and you can shove a piece of wire (solid copper 12/14 ga) in the inlet and exhaust port to hold valve open. No need to fish through spark plug hole.

rocs82650 and Jetfixer like this.
  3. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I use a large zip tie. 5/16 wide and a foot and a half long . Bend the end a little and slip it under the
    valve at TDC. It was very easy to slip it through the plug hole. the valve can be observed coming up
    at TDC

4. JCH

JCH Active Member

I personally don't like putting objects of any kind in the valves,the tool is easy to use and relatively inexpensive.Be careful with aftermarket shims the ones that i purchased rested loose in the buckets and switched over to O/E.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Why do you want to remove the engine? Starter off, engine mountings removed, tilt it forward, warm up the airbox, wiggle it in. Works on the maxim anyway?

Franz likes this.
  7. arborgent

arborgent New Member

Just what I wanted to hear.

I picked up the valve shim kit that Chacal sells that comes with the little retaining tool...I assume that eliminates the need to fish anything through the spark plug hole?

8. arborgent

arborgent New Member

I did see a thread where someone described that process. I'm certainly willing to give it a try and save myself some hassle, but I do also recall see a thread with someone saying that wouldn't work so idno. If you got a link handy where someone describes how to go about it that'd be much appreciated.

edit: nevermind, think I found the info: https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-remove-the-airbox.21608/

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  9. JCH

JCH Active Member

It's not Chacal anymore it's Len and i don't know what happen to Chacal but he was a good guy to talk to too !

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I think they are twins.

Stumplifter likes this.