1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 Maxim sliding/rattle noises

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ben Hinz, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Ben Hinz

Ben Hinz Member

A few weeks ago while riding my 82 maxim I noticed what sounded like a chain rubbing or rattling in the engine. I only heard it because the speakers in my helmet ran out of battery and couldn't listen to music. It is a very subtle noise but now that I've heard it, I hear it all the time when riding at slower speeds. I can't tell if it's a normal noise and just never noticed it but I can't really replicate the sound when it is just sitting in neutral so I can't really record it. It is more noticeable when I have my music off and my face shield open but over 30-40 mph it is drowned out by wind noise and the exhaust note. I'm just not sure if I should be concerned about the cam chain tensioner or any other chain guide in the engine. It's entirely possible it's just the sound of the valves clacking or the normal sound from the timing chain and I never really noticed it since I always listen to music. I'd really like to avoid pulling apart the engine just to find out everything is fine so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Even though I can't get a recording of the exact noise in question, here is a video of my engine just in case someone can hear something telling that I can't.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You could remove the valve cover to check for slack in the cam chain. Also remove the tensioner to see if it is near the end of its travel. Check your valve clearances too. If these three are fine l don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Sounds fine to me and it's an air cooled motor no water jackets to dampen the sound.

3. JCH

JCH Active Member

Sounds like you may have a exhaust leak,take a rubber hose and stick it in your ear and listen around the fittings etc

Franz likes this.
  4. Ben Hinz

Ben Hinz Member

I did just replace my exhaust earlier this spring. I replaced the exhaust gaskets but the header nuts may have come loose. I will check for leaks tomorrow and check back in.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It could also be the usual cam endplay tap, though I don't hear that in the video. Can you shoot another one without revving the engine? Be sure that she's good and warm first. Right after a 10 minute ride woud be ideal.

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well with my hearing (pretty bad) I probably shouldn't weigh in, but I can't help but notice what does sound like a chain striking metal as soon as the throttle is released and the engine begins to slow down. I hear it on every rev in the video. I don't know if the broken primary chain guide that allows the chain to strike the oil nozzle is a distinctive noise or not. There have been a few posts on here where cam chains had actually created witness marks on the valve cover.