1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

550 Seca resurrection

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JEFF MARTIN, Jun 18, 2020.

1. JEFF MARTIN

JEFF MARTIN Member

Greetings all -

Here is the latest update. I have gone a second round of degreasing the engine - it's looking SO much better! Still have one more session with the degreaser - then on to power wash!

Got the bike on the lift, started to strip it down. Plastics and tank removed, replaced the rear brake pedal, front brake lever and front right directional. then started the arduous task of cleaning the "greasy dust" off EVERYTHING under the seat and tank. It's beginning to look much better. Opened up the headlight to replace the right front directional, found evidence of tampering in the headlight bucket (cut wires, taps on wires, workarounds on others). Bought a battery and threw it in to test electronics. Directionals light up and flash, taillight works, brake light works (although the rear brake light switch need to be adjusted), horns work (boy are they LOUD!), no illumination from the headlight. As I got under the seat, there is the red/yellow wire to the fuse block that has been removed from the block and wired around with an in-line fuse holder. This circuit should have a 10a, currently has a 25a in the in-line holder. One circuit has a 20a but calls for a 10, one calls for a 10 and has a 7.5; just all over the map.

Bought some supplies - oil and filters, oil filter housing O-ring, tires (Dunlop 404's), shifter shaft bushing (got destroyed when the chain got thrown). Still need plugs, air filter, chain and sprockets, master cylinder rebuild kit, caliper rebuild kit, fuel tank mounting rubbers, side cover rubber mounts, front brake pads, rear brake shoes, fork seals. Not sure what to do about the wiring issues, because I HATE having any cuts in the factory harness, and one of the fuse holders has a broken tab, making it inmpossible to hold a fuse. Anyone have an extra fuse block?

Last thing I noticed - I stuck a probe down into the oil and when I pulled it out, it looked a bit "golden", and smelled faintly of gas. I plan on changing the oil before I crank the engine, hopefully the gas is from poorly adjusted carbs, or running short trips, or something else minor. Now, in full disclosure, the PO mentioned that a shop (Kucknicks in Bear Lake, PA) replaced the gaskets and there was a story about an oil leak, but it wasn't clear if it was before or after the shop did gasket work.

Any thoughts? My biggest concern are the problems with the wiring, but I'm open to all comments.

Jeff

2. JEFF MARTIN

JEFF MARTIN Member

Hi all -

Here's the latest. Continued the seemingly endless cleaning, but I think I'm to the point that it's just "dirty" now. When I removed the tank, I realized how far i DIDN'T get under the tank, so that was the nest area to clean. Then I got after the area that houses the taillights and got that all clean. I sourced the wiring harness that goes to the headlight, so that one is now fixed. I reverse engineered that had happened in the headlight with the cut and bypassed wires and replaced them with the correct type spade connector and color wire, so THAT'S fixed. I have sourced the original type fuse box and am waiting for them to come back in stock and then all the electrical modifications are back to original. Oil is drained, oil filter and oil filter housing O-ring have been replaced. Called the shop that supposedly worked on the bike, but he didn't recall doing any motorcycle work in the past several years. As we talked, he DID remember a bike coming in for an inspection, with the engine covered in oil, but he didn't do any work on it, as far as he can recall. Purchased plugs, tank mounting "pucks", side cover grommets, tires, chain and sprockets, front brakes (ceramic), caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits, fork seals and dust covers, air filter. Tires and forks are off the bike, new tires mounted and balanced, waiting for fork seals, caliper rebuild kit and rear sprocket to arrive so I can start re-assembly. Carbs are currently filled with K-100 and soaking the innards. Handlebars have been replaced, as has the start button. Once the bike can support it's own weight again, I'm testing for spark and putting some fire to it!

I have a few new pictures to add. I'll get them up asap.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Jeff

3. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

I wouldn't wait for the original style fuse box. Install a blade fuse instead of the glass type

Franz likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

did you replace the spring and washer on the oil filter?

5. JEFF MARTIN

JEFF MARTIN Member

I installed the spring between the housing and the filter. Is the washer under the head of the bolt that holds the housing in place?

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a washer between spring and filter to keep spring from pushing through the gromet on filter. the washer tends to stick to filter when changed

part 10 in drawing
    https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1981/xj550rh/oil-cleaner

7. JEFF MARTIN

JEFF MARTIN Member

Ok! Thanks for the tip, looks like it's coming apart again!

8. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

This concerns me. Filling carbs and/or soaking carbs will not do under any circumstances. They must be disassembled completely and meticulously cleaned and floats dry and wet set. There is no shortcut.

Franz likes this.
  9. JEFF MARTIN

JEFF MARTIN Member

Just picked up the washer. Going back together tonight.