1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650 seca turbo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Devyn, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Devyn

Devyn New Member

Hi my name is Devyn and I am 16 and have been interested in motorcycles for a long time . I got my hands on a 82 xj650 seca turbo that wasn't running and finally got her running. But now I am having a bit of trouble with gas. When I run the motorcycle it leaks gas. I believe it is coming from the airbox and I was wondering if anyone can help me find out how to fix my problem.

2. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

You’ll have to check the float levels in your carbs. There is a needle valve leaking, either by being stuck open or out of spec.

Franz likes this.
  3. Dre42

Dre42 Member

^ +1

Less likely but still probable--your petcock maybe set to PRI which bypasses the suction mechanism of the petcock and floods the carbs. Make sure the petcock is set to "ON" position. Otherwise if it's leaking fuel, it's most likely coming from the carburetors, as Rusty81 indicated.

If it's only leaking fuel when running, it's also possible there's a hole in the fuel line (which would be a pretty easy fix, you'd just need to replace the hose).

Best of luck, and once you get it running, do be safe--a 71 horsepower bike is no joke for a first time 16 year old rider ;))

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Just to clarify the Turbo does not have a vacuum operated petcock.
    There is a check valve which requires pressure from the fuel pump to allow the fuel to flow.
    I've attached a pic below during my rebuilding process.
    You are getting fuel to flow when running and fuel stops when shut off so this sounds like its working as intended.
    I agree with the others that you will need to pull the carbs and have a look at the float needles.
    Unfortunately, removing the carbs is an ordeal, so while you have them on the bench this is the time to renew all the rubber components.

fuel check valve.jpg