1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel in float bowls too low?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bluethunder91, Aug 12, 2020.

1. bluethunder91

bluethunder91 New Member

I am trying to tune my bike properly and I'm trying to eliminate some issues. When I had my carb rack off, I set all the float bowls to Manufacturers Specifications but now I am checking the levels via "sight glass" and I'm not sure if these levels are too low or not. My understanding was that the top of the level was supposed to meet the mating surface of the bowl, where the gasket goes.

Photos are attached. 1st pic is cylinder 1, 2nd pic is cylinder 2, etc.

Attached Files:

2. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

They look low to me, what bike do the carbs belong to ?

3. bluethunder91

bluethunder91 New Member

These are the Hitachi HSC33's from a 85 XJ700n.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Fuel Level in float bowls: 1.0mm +/- 1mm (.039" +/- .039")

try using a longer tube. it should be long enough to test if carbs are level when measuring on bike by using tube on carb 1 and then checking while hooked to 1 on 4 to see if it reads the same. per manual bike should be running and fuel measured on side of carb
    700nwetside.PNG 700n carbwet.PNG
    see how long the tube is?

JCH likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The dry setting (measuring float height) is a ballpark baseline for setting the fuel levels. It's somewhat innacurate because there is no "foolproof" method for measuring the float height accurately. Also make sure that you did not accidentally install the floats upside-down.

Setting the fuel levels

6. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

Sounds like xj550h has the sound proof way, not for sure, in real means of use... it makes sense. Seems like the real results ? Or the factory did there wizardry on a flat and level surface ? IDK.

7. bluethunder91

bluethunder91 New Member

thank you for this. I honestly had no idea the bike was supposed to be running when you check the fuel levels.

I pulled the rack today and measured the float height via the link you provided (thank you) and they were all smack dab at 16mm. At least now I know it's not a float issue.

8. k-moe

Keep in mind that the dry measurement gets you into the ballpark. It's rare to have that match up with the actual wet spec. Wet-set the float levels.

Also keep in mind that the service manuals have errors in them, and I am a firm believer that having the bike running while checking fuel levels is one of those errors.

9. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Logically k-moe would be correct about the engine running. A running engine will have fuel pulled from the bowl and filled as needed from the float needle. What would be the difference with using a suspended fuel supply while opening the drain screw and checking the level while lowering the raised end of the sight tube, which removes fuel from the bowl and allowing the float needle to do its job?

10. bluethunder91

bluethunder91 New Member

thank you. And just so I'm correct, "wet set" means to set the floats with the carbs on the bike? Taking the float bowls off and adjusting the tang until it doesn't allow fuel through?

11. k-moe

A wet set is done on the bench. the details are listed in the link I provided earlier.

12. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Wet set means checking the level of fuel in each bowl using a flexible tube. If done on the bike you need to make sure everything is level and it is darn near impossible to check the two inside carbs especially if checking against the side of the bowl. Wet setting off the bike is easier, leveling is easier, adjusting the floats are easier without having to remove from the bike every time.

k-moe likes this.
  13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

wet set is on the bench with gas in them using a clear tube to check. i guess you could put them on the bike and take them back off to adjust but that's just way too much work

k-moe likes this.