1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you need a side car;)

ksigurdsen and Nyk B like this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I rode to the Games Workshop store. Bought paint. Took the long way home.
    I can't say that I miss wrenching on the girl, but I also can't say that I don't miss wrenching on her.

ksigurdsen likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Got engine out , had a rough day, first had a bear of time getting my spin oil filter boss out could not find the tool to remove it . So I thought I would just go back to stock set up, went to pull cover off of new engine ,bolt was chewed up. So went to local yamaha dealer , they did not have a new bolt ,but the owner told me how they used to fix them back in the day. Remove O ring ,drive out the pin to the pressure spring , grind the flats of the bolt , till it fits inside of a 15mm nut and plug weld onto the bolt , and reassemble. On my way home stopped at hardware store bought 3 30mm nuts ...success so will be able to my spin on filter...hurrah . Giving up for the night will install in morning.

4. Nyk B

Nyk B New Member

Finally did get a nice long ride in yesterday to my friends house. So far I have ~200 miles on her. Come to find out my right caliper is hanging up a tad. Easy fix just ugh

5. Jetfixer

Whoo installed engine this morning took longer than I thought but took my time , after I fought the exhaust system, put tank back on and crossed my finger ...fired up right away and idled perfect . Took it out rode my 5 mile country course ,pushed it to 55 ...I know nothing about this engine so wanted to keep it slow . This new engine shifts so smooth , clutch still needs adjusted or replaced ...best of all engine hot and no starter clutch slipping , got a few more things to do and clean up , but calling it a night ...I feel good it is almost a new bike , sometime going to split case on old engine and replace starter clutch.

chacal and Franz like this.
  6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

A transplant engine. That's the way to do it.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Assuming that the alternator chain guide was replaced.
    Franz is doing the best thing by opening up the original engine for service so he has that ready when/if the transplant starts having issues.

Franz likes this.
  8. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Went for the longest ride yet on the 82 650 and realized there are a few more issues to address. Left fork seal is leaking so the lower fork leg is oily which gets a little on the brake caliper and rotor, making the brake not as responsive as it should be. I'll be doing those when I take the front end off to replace the steering head bearings. Other than that and the slight hesitation on easy throttle up (carbs need cleaning/rebuild), was a great day to be out it the world. Should have spent some time putting the 81 back together but, riding around with my girl on a running bike is way more fun.

k-moe likes this.
  9. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

20200817_160501.jpg 20200817_170523.jpg
    Minor things yesterday. Fixed the left rear turn signal post which had approx. 1/8 in. missing in the middle of the hard rubber. Previously glued in a round (like o-ring), black hose washer to fill the gap but it was still too bouncy. Modified a thin aluminum tube, that covers a gutter nail, to be a smaller diameter and jammed it into the post. Much stiffer now. Also replaced the exhaust header (ring) gaskets to quiet down some leaks.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Franz likes this.
  10. Jetfixer

Finishing up a few items , but so far very happy

Attached Files:

Franz and chacal like this.
  11. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Bought a used XJ750 Seca. Pulled out the carb, synched them, changed jets. Took off the exhaust and sadly... :( the exhaust def needs to be replaced. It's rusted to hell and has some cracks in it

12. Jetfixer

So had a bear of a time refitting my stock exhaust , so pulled my MAC exhaust out and installed it. Forgot how throaty it sounded , definitely seems to pick up and go better , slightly louder than stock . So far put 30 miles on new engine , so nice to ride and shut engine off and hit starter button and engine start ...not the slipping of old engine .

13. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Took the 83 XJ900 out for a little spin today. After going through the bike this summer after it had sat for a VERY LONG time (decades), its good to be in the wind again on this bike.

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Camshafts fitted just a few more things to do and engine rebuild is complete. Cannot wait to hear it running again. Great fun working on engines. Going to build a timber bench for next time.

Camshafts Fitted.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Dave in Ireland likes this.
  15. Jetfixer

Nice...want to do my starter clutch?

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Looking at flights from Heathrow to Indiana :D. Be a doddle for you to fix yours lol.

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Very pleased with it. New cam chain, starter clutch dowels and springs, and starter chain guide. Now l have to do the throttle shaft seals. New task for me so it will be great to have it all fixed and no potential vaccum leaks.

Jetfixer likes this.
  18. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Bloody snapped off two of those intake boot bolts. I tried spraying it with blaster, Using vice grips on em. Nothing. They're about a half inch out and they other is about a quarter. I heard heat helps but I'm afraid to mess up my cylinder head. I'm thinking of hiring a welder to weld something for more grip.... otherwise I need a "new" cylinder head...

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

No not lost yet. If you are removing the head an engineering shop should be able to remove them all. Chances are they will break again if you try and weld onto broken bolts. Leave the stubs as they are and take it to a shop or get a quote from them and then decide.

I had damaged studs that secure the front of the cylinder head to the barrels and the local engineers fixed them and saved my cylinder head.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  20. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

get a stud extractor . its like a socket but has teeth on it to grab stud. chacal sells them if you cant find one local.

a weledr is applying heat when he welds. treat the studs daily
    also try tapping on the ends of broken stud with a hammer to losen rust/corrosion . not like driving a nail. maybe get some Kroil it is great stuff compared to pb blaster. or an acetone atf 50/50 mix.

a few cycles of heat to expand stud a few cycles of cold to shrink studs may help . canned air upside down works well

a machine shop is good if you want to go that route well worth the money.

Jetfixer and Franz like this.