1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carbs leaking badly

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mark worsley, Aug 21, 2020.

1. mark worsley

mark worsley New Member

Hey guys I was hoping someone had an idea on why one of the four carbs are leaking badly out of what I think might be vents. It’s leaking from the air cleaner side through what looks like a screw hole. It’s a 1980 650 that sat for a few years

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sticking float valve needles whick may need to be replaced, or fuel wet set is to high

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

>>>+1 pull carbs pull float bowl , slide pin outt of float and pull needle off float. Check tip of needle if it is rubber see if it is got a ring or groove on tip. The seat can be polished ,take a qtip and chuck in a drill , put some metal polish on qtip insert in seat pull trigger on drill a couple of short pulls and it will start to polish up. If the needle is grooved or hard , replace them xj4ever has them , I bought the solid brass ( recommended) replacing them regardless you will need to adjust your float height.

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I second the brass needles, but I would recommend getting new seats at the same time.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Follow these instructions. Take your time, do the job right the first time. Don't let anything you think is just "okay" go back into the carbs. The carbs are one of the most important parts of the bike to keep clean and working. Besides all the safety stuff yet to come.

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/in-the-church-of-clean.14692/

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

BE AWARE that this situation has also likely filled your crankcase with gasoline and diluted the oil. DO NOT run the motor until you change the oil. Once you think you have the issue resolved, closely monitor your oil level. A sudden increase will signal if a float issue still exists.

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  7. mark worsley

mark worsley New Member

Awesome I really appreciate the reply’s guys. Gonna take them apart and really get into it. Would it be the one carb that it’s pouring out of or all???

8. mark worsley

mark worsley New Member

Also I have done 4 hours of riding with no issues till I fired it in the garage and went out for the evening if that’s helpful

9. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Like Bigfitz said, you better check your oil for gas. All kinds of bad things can happen if your oil has a lot of gas in it. As far as riding for 4 hours, it is possible that the vibration of riding was enough to keep the needle/float free to operate properly, plus the fact that you were using fuel. You need to pull the carbs and probably replace the float needles and seats just as mentioned before.

k-moe likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yes. It could be any combination, or just one.

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Gonna need to investigate petcock as well, a stuck or malfunctioning float or floats cannot pee gas unless it has a ready supply. This is generally a multi-pronged problem...