1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oops. I need help: Damaged Pilot screw

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tumbleweed_biff, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

which one is it, i'll see what i got

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm sorry but I recall offering assistance in an earlier post. Just in case you strike out where you are. If you end up replacing it (Polock, you ROCK it!) I'd love to get your old carb body to play with (i.e. finding out how hard it is to remove that screw on the mill at work with a reverse twist drill bit).
    I wish you well on this effort however you land, best of luck!

3. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

Sorry Robert, didn't mean to disregard, I was trying to think local.

What do you think of the JB weld modification of Polock's solder job idea?

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Either is a possible fix. I like the JB Weld idea but heaven help you if you get it in places it ought not to be. Polock's method is by far the most trick I've ever seen...right amazing.
    Your boned either way if you get stuff in the wrong place so I guess I'd try the JB weld first, solder second. That is IF I didn't have a machine shop handy (my first choice by far).

5. maximmac

maximmac New Member

Dealing with the same ting right now! Fused and stripped pilot. I wussed out and ordered another body used off ebay... we tapped and drilled and picked out brass just to find we screwed ( pun intended) the threads on the body.... the threads are crazy fine on mine (.5 pitch i think) I am ordering extra pilot screws from Chacal just incase it happens again...

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

i took one out the other day got the ezout at abuchon hardware # 1 size I let pilot screw soak in penetrating oil over night. used a centerpunch to set a spot to start the drill.
    came out real easy i used pb blaster used the same method to remove the pilot jet but did not have to drill it

7. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

I know this is a very old thread, BUT, i just wanted to share how i`ve removed brass mixture screws where the screwdriver slot was destroyed and you couldnt get the mixture screw out.
    The method i`ve used for many decades without fail, is to drill a small hole into the mixture screw, then tap a T8 torx bit into the drilled hole of the mixture screw, you`ll be able to walk that mixture screw right out.

This method has never failed me...ever.

Andrew Nichols and k-moe like this.
  8. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Ahh, when you say 'tap' you don't mean tap a thread... I get it. Sounds good!

XJ Nine Hundred likes this.
  9. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

No, not as in tap used for threading... i just drilled a hole down into the top of the brass pilot screw, then i used a small hammer to hit a T8 torx bit into the hole that i drilled in the pilot screw.
    Then i turned the T8 torx by hand and walked the pilot right up out of the carb body. This method is all i`ve ever used when removing pilot screws where the slot is either worn off or stripped.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Interesting.... I may have to experiment with doing it that way sometime

XJ Nine Hundred likes this.
  11. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Actually, its the only method that has ever worked perfectly for me. I like using the torx bits because it actually grips better than the old easy-out bits, if done right.
    I`ve never had good luck with easy-out`s... easy-outs always end up stripping the brass, then you`re screwed.