1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Try heating the aluminum around a stud, take an ice cube to the stud, grab stud with good vice grips and see if you can get it to turn. Expand the aluminum, shrink the stud.

2. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Def gonna go to a machine shop. I don't trust myself to drill in or not mess up the cylinder head with heat. I really hope they can get it out. Already spent a good chunk on some new parts to restore this bike! Good news is the engine is in good shape. They just needed to make sure the outside and bolts, studs, screws didn't get caked up with grease and gunk. Make sure you clean any crud off your bike every now and then!

Franz likes this.
  3. Huntchuks

Remember how hot your cylinders get when running?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

worst case at the shop would be them having to drill it out and install helicoils or threaded inserts, if you have one bring a stud with you so they see the size and depth to penetrate

Matti Matti Matti

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

NAPA or Crafstman make great extractors , you just need a ratchet . NAPA used to have machine shop services , take bike to them first ( trailer ) instead of pulling head ...unless you really want to . I also recommend pitch all the old allen screws ,and get new fasteners and use anti seize on all of the screws . Cheers

6. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

So what is the recommended procedure to try and not break the bolts? Pretty sure I’m gonna need new manifolds and would prefer to avoid breakage.

7. XJ550H

plenty of treating with what ever your faviroite penatrating oil repete daily hourly wait do it again . heat and freeze cycles to help oil penetrate and make corrosion break up.
    with the manifolds if your going to replace them cut them off enough to get oil to the bolt so you can get to them treated

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  8. tj.

tj. Active Member

Galvanic corrosion...interesting fix in the vid.

Franz likes this.
  9. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

DON'T RUSH IT! I'm not sure why these studs are stuck like that since I bought the bike off someone but I should've took full precautions and sprayed pen oil, wriggle it left and right a tiny bit every day and keep doing it until maybe if I'm lucky I loosened some of the gunk. Take your time. It's much more of a headache dealing with broken bolts or studs then dealing with stuck unbroken ones. Normally a good vice grip works but not for these two :(.

10. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Cleaned the tank and rebuilt the fuel tap/petcock with a excellent kit from Chacal. Changed the oil cause it smelled of gas a bit, hoping the rebuild would fix that. Rode around a bit last evening it was harder to start than usual. Didn’t see any leaks or issues after putting it all back together. Today I go out and smell some gas and see a puddle. Despite the puddle it did run better after the rebuild, held a decent idle on “Run” instead of just reserve. Actually had to fiddle the idle screw a bit to get it back to a proper place since I had fiddled it the other direction pre-rebuild. My next post in this thread will be “took it back apart and found something I screwed up” 48CF296C-4152-4DF0-96DE-CFF9B0D90972.jpeg

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Painted Crankcase just to tidy it up a bit.

Attached Files:

Jetfixer and Rusty81 like this.
  12. Jetfixer

Looks good , I painted my spare engine with VHT gloss black before I installed it it turned out good . I left the head unpainted it helps to spot any oil leaks and I think it looks good

Attached Files:

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes l like the black finish on your engine. I won't paint the cylinders and valve cover either for the same reason. Be nice to get my bike running again.

Jetfixer likes this.
  14. Huntchuks

15. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

16. Jetfixer

So it poured down rain this morning , so fixed a few items on bike. The number four cylinder had an exhaust leak , backed off both nuts and slowly drew them even and this fixed the leak. My clutch lever had paint worn off in the middle, wire wheel took off paint , repainted . It was dark and noticed the brake light only came on with front brake lever. I had to remove the rear brake lever off when I did engine swap , after little checking ,found the spring going to switch needed a little tweaking, fixed. I ordered a new Shinko 712 rear tire , put 4k plus on still got tread . I try to not ride in the rain but ,I have used these tires on all my bikes I've owned had good luck with them. Waiting on my clutch cover gasket so I can replace clutch . On Saturday went for a 35 mile ride ran so good , nice to be able to shut bike off and not have starter clutch slip . Cheers.

Franz and Rooster53 like this.
  17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I replaced my headlight bulb, with a proper "antivibratory" bulb, a PIAA 70456. (The bike already has an H4 Halogen "modular" headlight installed.) "Anti-vibration" bulbs have not been easy to find in the past, but since Harley Davidson started utilizing them, that seems to no longer be an issue.

"Normal" bulbs don't last long; we'll see how this one does.

18. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

checked valve clearance. 9,600 mi since last check/correction, 3/19. all good. still.
    next check in 4,000.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  19. Huntchuks

The last couple of times riding I have noticed excess engine noises. I had replaced the ring gaskets on 8/17/20 and torqued to 7.2 - 7.5 ft./lbs. Checking today and they were very loose so I torqued to @8-9 ft./lbs. thinking they needed a tiny bit more because I use a bit of anti seize when replacing the gaskets. Should I have not used the anti seize or is it normal to have to re-tighten the nuts because of the thickness of the gaskets crushing a bit?
    I really don't like the clicking/ticking or any other extraneous sounds coming from my engine.

20. XJ550H

torque specs are dry when you add anti sieze you have to torque to different spec.