1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Completed Project - ZRX 1200R

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by 1965soda, Sep 18, 2020.

1. 1965soda

1965soda Member

ZRX Complete.jpg Thought I would share a picture of my most recently completed project. I picked up this low mileage ZRX in December of 2018. Lots of riding last year and a re-paint of my main bike (Concours 1400) kept me from digging into this until this spring.

I was making great progress and then in June I took a pretty nasty digger while riding mountain bike with my son. Ended up with a stay in the hospital, surgery to repair multiple fractures, a long recovery, and ongoing therapy. I had to cancel a motorcycle trip to Oregon and Washington (for several reasons) last week but took the time to finish the ZRX. I am happy with how it turned out and although I have only ridden it a short amount, I am very pleased with how cleanly and strongly it pulls. Just a few little trim type items I want to track down and then I can start on the next project.

I know you all have a love for Yamaha's and I do too....but thought you might enjoy seeing something green. :)

Rooster53 and Franz like this.
  2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Always liked the two tone green paint on the old H1 Mach III bikes.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Or the old metallic green Z1 smashing bike. Like the ZRX too I would buy one of them.

k-moe likes this.
  4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

gorgeous ride!

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Love that bike, had a 03 in blue and NEVER should have sold it. Now trying to find one in my hobby price range is almost impossible. What have you done to her? I went with a holeshot set up, exhaust, stage 3, 4 degree timing wheel and modded air box. That bike is one of the funnest hooligan bikes I have ever owned. I have found my Bandit 1250 t0 be close, but not too sure if it is the same torque monster the Zrex was. Thanks for sharing, hope you heal up well and can get back to all of your hobbies.

6. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

The ZRX is definitely an iconic bike, and wanted you to be aware of the listing below.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2003-Kawasaki-ZRX-1200R-5014063055
    Not sure if it's in your "Hobby" price range? Or possibly too far away.

Tony

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Tony,
    You stop tempting me....LOL. Thanks for the link to the nice 03. I have the bandit now and like her well enough. If another ZRX pops up in my area for the right price I will be all over it. I moved up to a ZX1400 and it was a mistake. I sold the ZX shortly after moving to Wisconsin, the roads here are not for that type of street bike. Could not dial in the suspension and didn't want to spend the money to get aftermarket stuff. Good memories all around for those bikes.

8. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Thanks for the kind responses everyone! This is the second 1200R I have restored/refurbed and both have been green. If I remember correctly, Kawasaki offered green in all years the bike was produced. Although green is probably the easiest to find, it pays tribute to the ELR Z1R, and the most popular color, I was actually hoping to find a silver one when this popped up. While I enjoy this one, I will keep looking for a low mileage silver version that needs a little help.

Timbox: I wanted to keep the bike somewhat close to stock and also easily returnable to OEM as it seems those are the bikes that hold their value the best. That being said, and as you know, a few mods can really make the ZRX a much stronger and more enjoyable machine. Performance mods include a ELS air box/battery hold-down, a large K&N filter, re-jetted the carbs, and the Hindle full system. I tucked the original airbox, OEM rear fender, and exhaust in a box for when/if I ever sell it. The previous owner had a taller windscreen on it, Corbin seat/backrest, and a rear rack system....those also got boxed up for a future owner.

Thanks again and take care!

9. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Beautiful work. Looks brand new. Making me jealous if I'm honest.

I used to drool over the Eddie Lawson replicas but I had to give up on them - out of my budget for sure.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Zoom Zoom, that will blow the fillings out of your teeth :)