1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Should I buy new nozzle?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by scoobydew, Sep 16, 2020.

1. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Hey ya'll. So I pulled apart the crankcase and I pulled out the (oil nozzle?) part # 4H7-13454-00-00 and I saw the little tab was snapped off. So I fixed it with a tooth pick and some gorilla glue. The nozzle is in otherwise good shape. The tab just makes sure the nozzle doesnt fall through the hole and its made of plastic so I assume its not exposed to much heat.

Is my fix good enough or should I find new nozzle? I can't even find one. I've checked everywhere and no dice. It's such a small thing I don't see why itd be so difficult in finding one.

I'd rather replace anything that would give me a hard time later. This thing is DEEP in the engine and if something happens I don't wanna have to crack it open again :(
    [​IMG]

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The tab is so that the hole in the nozzle points in the right direction to lubricate the chain. Apart from the tab your nozzle is not damaged. What is the plastic guide like the chain runs on? Renew that because if it is the original one (highly likely) it will break up and jam your gearbox forks and selector drum. They breakup with age not mileage. If you want to replace the nozzle Chacal will have one info@xj4ever.com and he will have the other parts you need too. Heat the bolts on the chain guide before removing them to soften the factory thread locker. They can snap otherwise. I used a hot air gun which worked fine. Check your starter clutch hub for cracks and renew the three dowels and their springs.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That tab is not originally plastic. It's a roll pin. Get a replacement nozzle. If you have the skill and tools, drill out the stub and put a new roll pin in. If that fix fails you can lose the alternator chain and the whole lower end when the chain fails.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Franz and chacal like this.
  4. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Your oil spray nozzle looks great!
    But... gorilla glue and a toothpic probably isn't going to keep it pointing in the right direction for too long.
    Personally I got a little over-the-top and cut the roll-pin out, when it was broken, and brazed a piece of high tensile wire in it's place.
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/oil-spray-nozzle-refurb.120133/

k-moe likes this.
  5. JCH

JCH Active Member

What causes the roll pin to break and at what mileage is it time to inspect them ? i also realize that if it fails it takes out the chain and then its a engine tear down.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I don't think the roll pin breaks, might have been broken by PO? The chain guide is more likely to fail on our bikes and then the chain can damage the oil spray nozzle. Examination of the roll pin would mean removal of the alternator rotor and the three bolts of the alternator shaft.

I would drill that pin out and replace it. It cannot go anywhere when the bearing is bolted back onto the crankcase.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    k-moe likes this.
  7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

there are replacements..........chacal, as usual
    [​IMG]

Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  8. JCH

JCH Active Member

So basically you have no way of inspection or warning of chain guide wear or being brittle unless you see pieces plastic in you oil.
    So my bike being 35-36 years old with 9 K is in harms way of the guides being worn out ?

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes some of the smaller bits of chain guide could come out of the sump drain. If you find that don't use the bike it's time to split the cases and renew the guide, starter clutch dowels and springs, and check both chains for wear. I have just completed my engine rebuild. Once you do it you can forget about the guide for another 30 years approximately.

k-moe likes this.
  10. JCH

JCH Active Member

Approximately how many hours are we looking at here ? how many miles on your bike, did you have bits in your oil or did you do a total rebuild ?
    Do you know what year they updated the guide ?
    This bike has always been garage like I suspect most have been on this site and from what I have seen the rubber parts that I can see have held up fairy well on this bike over the years, so I'm guessing that this guide in question a in inferior part or the oil speeds up the degradation of the part ?

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I think you could do the work over a weekend assuming there were no seized fasteners and you had all the right tools. Better fixing it in winter though if you have other transport.

Bike has 36,000 miles cannot be genuine, think speedo unit was changes but no wear on my engine.

No mine had not failed I changed it because I was fitting an endless cam chain.

They did not update the guide as far as I know. Chacal would know I think.

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Cam chain guides can get brittle too with age but the starter chain guide is the one that fails, why I don't know.

13. JCH

JCH Active Member

Thank you for answering all of my questions Franz.
    I don't think I will do it as preventive maintance, I will sure check the oil Carefully.
    Doesn't sound like it would cause too many issues if you can catch it soon enough.
    One weekend hun ? that means at least 4 weekends for me., short days.

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I would not have changed mine if the cam chain was fine. Yes that is it just check your oil and you should catch it before it does damage. But once you have plastic parts in the oil don't use the bike till it is fixed. The chain will wreck the oil spray nozzle etc.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

One weekend hun ? What does that mean?

16. JCH

JCH Active Member

Nothing Franz,didn't mean anything at all...

Franz likes this.
  17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Lol l thought it was an internet thing.

18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The alternator chain guides get brittle with AGE, not miles. Every one of the originals is due for failure in the not too distant future.

19. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I was able to take a very small drill and drill out the tab and then insert a new one I picked up at the hardware store. Wasn't much of a problem, and I figured that I had nothing to lose since I would have to get a new one anyway.