1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Should I buy a new sump?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by scoobydew, Sep 19, 2020.

1. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

I heard if the edges of crankcase, sump, anything that has gasket seal aren't level then the gasket wont seal properly. Took off the sump and noticed some kinks in it. Not too serious. There was no leak before I disassembled it but I'm worried if I put it all back together, toss in the oil and there's a leak... means disassembly all over again. I see here they sell a sump for around 180 but don't fix whats not broke right? It might be a bit tough to see in these pictures

20200919_183758.jpg 20200919_183822.jpg 20200919_183845.jpg 20200919_183855.jpg

2. JCH

JCH Active Member

No, I wouldn't, I would get it as clean as you can get it leaving no oil residue on the mating surface, get some good high tack cement for gaskets and add a little extra in the worn recesses, just don't get carried away with the amount.

Franz likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Clean off the old black gasket bits, wipe off any oil. You can then put a steel ruler on it's edge on the gasket face and l am sure the gasket face will fine. The gasket is used to deal with imperfections in the sump crankcase joint.

Was it leaking before? If not use it. How did you remove it? I used a hammer and put a timber block on the edge of the sump and tapped all round the periphery. When the joint separates the sound changes. Or plastic wedges on the joint so the aluminium doesn't get damaged.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Toomanybikes likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you're concerned you can use gasket dressing to help the gasket fill the low spots as it compresses. I like the spray-on type that you allow to dry before fitting the gasket. The type that is applied as a wet paste makes it harder to remove the sump.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

All I'm seeing is it needs a LOT of cleaning up. Be sure the mating surface on the bottom of the motor is clean as well. Remove any dowel pins and try a dry-fit without the gasket; you should be able to tell how well it mates up.

6. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Thanks guys. yeah I bought some aircraft remover to get rid of the gasket. it ate my plastic putty knife too... No there were no leaks so thats good. Nothing was removed on this bike since 82 I bet... I'm thinking of buying an ultrasonic bath. I can't budge some stuff like brake piston. I think its worth the investment for making cleaning parts easy peasy

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I was told although I have never tried this that slackening the bleed nipple off on a caliper (not removing it) and fitting a footpump fitting over the nipple allows removal of this piston with a footpump. I am skeptical about that. Another way could be using air from a tyre if the hose could be adapted. I don't know if it will work just an idea? The fittings would need to be airtight obviously for it to work.

8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Compressor, footpump can work but beware flying pistons when they 'let go' - that's somes projectile. Air form tyre is doubtful - only 30 odd PSI and you need much higher than that in my experience.

Franz likes this.
  9. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I have heard of folks using a grease gun to pump grease in and force the piston out but have not tried that. I keep an old, small master cylinder from a dirt bike to use for this. It is too small to use on anything else I have and is handy for getting brake pistons out for cleaning. And an old, small Sears bench top lathe to chuck the pistons up, spin them and polish with a scotch brite pad.
    John

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That is the best way using a spare master cylinder with brake fluid grease is a bit messy to get it all out.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I have just completed my engine rebuild, sump was similar to yours Scoob and I have no oil leaks.

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

back to the caliper piston: Yes, the grease is a bit messy. However, the caliper body needs to be DENTALLY CLEAN so it's no big deal. Further, the "grease gun" trick does work, works well, and will not shoot the piston across the room. I have personally used it with great success.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Last time l rebuilt a caliper l pushed the piston out while it was on the bike. Might try the grease in the gun at some point.

14. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Back to the initial sump question, you can always use a big piece of medium to fine sandpaper and a pane of glass for flatness to clean up the mating surface that way. Move the sump about on the sandpaper in a figure 8 pattern with little to light pressure. That should give you a nice clean, flat surface.
    John

15. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Glass is probably no flatter than a good, flat counter top. If it is flat and smooth, use it. Of course a surface plate is best if you have access to one.

16. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Ya, the pistons are pretty baked in there. I heard using compressed air can get it out. Just gonna take it to a shop. I don't mind paying 50 bucks for a clean job.