1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Taking a cue from Jeff "hogfiddles" Fox, I modified a (broken by wife) roller stand to hold a lawnmower tank. Tuning bike and wet setting carbs in the basement should IMG_20200920_155939.jpg be much easier.

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

mount a fire extingusher on it

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Did a color tune and carb sync.
    20200922_174131.jpg

Dave in Ireland and Franz like this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Had a new tire fitted , got over 4000 miles on old tire still like these Shinko tires, front still looks like new. Rode 25 miles still had to adjust rear brake ...done now. Still fighting the clutch cable, found return spring broke , robbed spring off old engine still not set where I think it should be so ordered a new cable just to be sure. Still looking at my 100$ swap meet project ..frame will NOT be cut, NO PODS, this will not be a bobber or the one phrase that I do not like " street fighter" my plan is to make this a tastefully modified bike with subtle revisions. Still figuring out what i have and what it will need . Cheers

Attached Files:

Dave in Ireland, Simmy and Franz like this.
  5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Came out from work to drive 83 XJ550 home and 'SNAP' the choke cable decided to part ends. Fortunately the enrichment plungers are easily turned by hand so I got it start.

I have never thought to lube it and after 35+ years.... I am ordering replacement cable from xj4ever.

Any tips or tricks for installing? Looks straightforward.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. SM85

SM85 Member

Got my wifes 1984 XJ750 running today. We bought it 3 weeks ago, and it was the first time it was running since 1998. CB750 coils, but had to use carbs off my XJ650, need some more parts for the XJ750 carbs.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Street fighter is just a name that some cheap/poor person came up with to cover for the lack of funds to fully rebuild his crashed bike

chacal and Jetfixer like this.
  8. Jetfixer

So last night was out working in garage , it was chilly out so was not going to ride. The right side of the engine sounds like I have an exhaust leak , so tightened down number 4 cylinder exhaust flange , and of course SNAP one of the studs broke off:( . No worries dropped exhaust, and out came my stud extractor out it came. Searched all my boxes ...found a bunch of studs but none in the right length :mad: hmm looked over at my new bike project , removed a stud from the engine problem solved . Until...could not get exhaust to go back on it was getting late so gave up. Today after I got off from work ( working from home rocks) gave it another go , pulled off both mufflers , and got collector box to finally line up . So at least it is back together, still sounds like a leak, but it could be the valve on the cylinder when I did valves I did not have the exact size shim , I went with a smaller shim, I will eventually check it . Some of the parts I ordered for the Johnny Cash bike...one piece at a time showed up ,now have the full rear fender and the side plate for the TDIand voltage regulator . The guy took just about everything off ,missing alot of bolts and nuts good times.

9. OldFleetGuy

OldFleetGuy Member

Hate to rub it in fellas (and gals too), but what a majestic 3 days in southern Virginia.
    670 miles on litttle' red so far this 3 day trip, hotel lady says check out is tomorrow. Well, crapola.
    200 miles on the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway Monday, another 200+ traveling around the Roger's mountain expanse (beautiful horses, Appalachian trail hikers), and today, riding I 77 uphill as it is from here to West Virginia, the whole way. Had to get the carbon off the valves so to speak. 10K in 4th still sounds so good in that little 650 mill uphill at 95 mph. Love that I77 tunnel! Man, you can really hear your engine then. Then, snaking my way back on torrid mountain passes to the hotel. Love those goat paths! Well, more like a farm trail actually. She's got nearly 40K on her now. I can tell she's working hard, but still getting the job done. Damn nation, hate to see this thing wear out, but it's a comm'n.
    Next weekend, my buddy and i'll get out the old man Gold Wing's for our Front Royal Va to Cherokee NC ride. Pull the slot machines, eat some good food. Hell, we might wind up in Atlanta! Go Braves!

Fall is here y'all. Get on your bikes and ride. Take a moment to absorb the beauty only nature can give us. Foleage is spectacular in the south east right now. All the other stuff will get behind you for awhile when you roll that throttle, and smell a blast of fall air.

Stay well, ride safe, all.
    OFG.

10. ksigurdsen

ksigurdsen Member

Replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket. It was a much easier task when my hands and fingers were younger but the right tools helped overcome the physical limitations.

11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I liked this, but it needs a round of applause - fall, or autumn as we call it is a beautiful time of year. Go ride...

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Me too such great scenery especially on a motorcycle.

13. Jetfixer

Figures temp hit 80 and wind hit 30mph rode down to early vote was blowing me all over the road . So came home and just tinkered on bike ,ordered a few more parts from eBay for the Johnny Cash bike " one piece at a time "

Simmy likes this.
  14. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Started putting the 650 maxim back together - put the semi flat bars back on, switches, mirrors etc. Need to make a new clutch cable end holder to clear the 600 airbox and reconnect the throttle cable. Hopefully take it for a spin tomorrow.

Jetfixer likes this.
  15. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Valveclearance adjustments, fresh mufflers and sprayed them.

16. Jetfixer

Been abusing PayPal account ordering parts for the Johnny Cash bike , today mu used ignition switch arrived seller claimed lock function did not work , played with it for 10 minutes ...works now. Mounted swing arm back in and shocks ,slowly collecting parts so my 120$ bike is adding up to needing alot of parts. Maybe one day I will get it back together going to take a bunch of $$$ or £££ to our British friends and time .

17. jag3

jag3 Member

I finally got the spin on oil filter mod completed that I purchased from Len at Xj4ever, pretty easy once the old unit was removed which was a pain because of the frozen oil filter bolt. Dont mind the crud in the oil pan, it's from grinding down the bolt but oil was black.
    Now onto the brakes and a question. Since I'm replacing my brake lines with SS ones and rebuilding the MC and calipers with parts from Len at Xj4ever. What brake fluid is recommended, DOT3, 4 or 5? The system should be completely dry and no residue from old fluid. Also, what pads are suggested? I haven't check the rear yet, one thing at a time. And then the attempt at the valves.
    20201011_152157.jpg 20201011_151751.jpg 20201010_113613.jpg 20201004_171442.jpg

Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  18. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Had some maintenance to do;
    [​IMG]

19. Jetfixer

Dot 3 brake fluid is fine .

k-moe likes this.
  20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

+1
    You're not racing the thing, and the only difference between 3, 4, and 5 is the boiling point.