1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Motorcycle Mechanic magazine

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Jetfixer, Aug 28, 2020.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

I was about 16 when I read the first road report of the 'new' XJ550 in Motorcycle Mechanics - our school library had a subscription ( yes really!) I lusted after it and had one when I was 19.. Now I have another.

Jetfixer and ksigurdsen like this.
  2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

When I was interested in getting a motorcycle in 1985 I stopped at the sheriff's office to get a learner's permit for motorcycles. He said South Dakota didn't have one. I asked "how is a person supposed to learn?" He said, "good question, find a country road and don't get caught." Mind you I was 26 years old at the time.

So, I bought my XJ550 from a dealer after having only ridden a motorcycle once for about 15 minutes. Drove the new cycle straight to the courthouse (20 minute drive) to take the test for a license. Took the test and even passed the driving test. The DMV person gave me a break I am sure... she said "You passed...barely...I think you are mature enough to not be stupid."

Still riding the same bike all these years later.... and things have changed a lot even in SD...

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I started out on a Honda Trail 70 automatic ran the wheels off of it almost anyway. Rode my dad's Honda CB 550 till he sold it ...finally when I was 23 bought my first " real bike" 84 Kawasaki 550 ltd rode every where had it for almost 10 years , was moving and needed a new refrigerator, sold bike and was able to buy new top of the line frig ...I made motorcycle noise when wife was close by lol . Had a 92 seca 2 for a couple of days long story but returned it to dealer. Bought my first new bike a 2003 Buell Blast 500 , yes it was a thumper single cylinder had a Kerker pipe louder than most Harleys . This bike was faster than you would think miss it ,sold it to a co worker that I tought how to ride, he fell in love with it and kept it for 5 years before he got a bigger bike . Bought an 82 Virago 750 with only 4700 miles for 400$ after I got the starter ironed out and carb jets straightened out was a great bike ...put it on Craig's list sold it 30 minutes later for 1500$ , I only had 300$ in it so for once I was good on it. The next bike I should have kept 82 Honda CB 750 custom with 4200 miles original owner passed away , still had original tires , the charging system was out . Replaced rotor this fixed that...put it on Craig's list phone did not stop ringing ...bought bike for 1300$ and sold it for 2000$ . Went several years with no bike :( finally bought my 82 XJ750 Seca ..was going to flip it ...but truly love this bike had it for 4 years . And now have an 82 Seca 750 project bike in pieces :D ride on .

Attached Files: