1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Frozen oil filter bolt.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jag3, Sep 29, 2020.

1. jag3

jag3 Member

I know there a lot of threads on this topic and my apologies for starting again. Has anyone tried using JB Weld and a larger nut to try and remove the oil filter bolt? I dont have access to a welder and can't my bike to one as you can see in the pictures . I've tried a 12mm six sided socket vice grips, pipe wrench, stud/bolt extractor, bolt biter socket of various sizes and nothing has worked. I ground flat edges in between trying different methods so the bolt head is about 9mm now. I have used a lot PB Blaster also. I don't care what happens to the filter housing because I'm replacing it with the screw on oil filter kit I purchased from XJ4Ever, link is on the forum page and other pages, thanks Len. He has all the parts you need for everything.
    20200929_184912.jpg 20200926_144046.jpg

20200926_154943.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

just grind the head off cover will pop off and you will be able to remove whats left of the bolt

k-moe likes this.
  3. jag3

jag3 Member

I'll give that a try, thanks.

4. JCH

JCH Active Member

Using a dull bit air hammer should remove it too if you have access to air tools, may be time for a spin on filter set up after all of these.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

First off, that's not a mere bolt. It's hollow and contains the oil pressure relief valve, you'll need a new one. The problem is usually the large flange under the bolt-head is stuck to the housing. It's NOT a washer, it's all one piece so be careful grinding it away so you don't damage the cover. Spin-on conversions are cool; however there are two things to consider: vulnerability to road debris and the lack of cooling fins. The original filter housing is heavily finned for a reason...

Rooster53 likes this.
  6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If you finish grinding the head CAREFULLY, you can get down to just a whisker thin pice of the shoulder to remove, and the cover will loosen, then you get the cover off and remove what is left of the bolt. You’ll need a new bolt,FYI

k-moe likes this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

thats what he is going to do spin on filter

8. jag3

jag3 Member

Thank you all for your help. i will be replacing with a spin-on filter so not too concerned with the OEM filter cover. Would an oil cooler be better and would it work with the OEM exhaust and do they a filter and if so what type?

Thanks,
    Joe

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

k-moe likes this.