1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seven years parked.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jag3, Oct 1, 2020.

1. jag3

jag3 Member

I am hoping to reinstall the carbs and install the spin-on oil filter kit that I purchased from XJ4ever (thanks Len). First concern after that's done is cranking her over for the first time after seven years in the garage without being started. I didn't anticipate it sitting so long so I never preserved the engine. What should I do before attempting the first crank, I won't be starting it yet but hoping to just bump a few times to get new oil through and coat everything. I dont want to remove any engine covers because the gaskets will likely leak when i put it back on or tear when i take it apart. They all may leak anyway from sitting, hopefully not. I may be up the creek. One other thing, my caliper pistons have a little rust, not much, inside them, can I sand these down and can I polish the outsides of them because they have a little gunk built up.

Thanks for all the help and any and all suggestions.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Remove the spark plugs and disconnect the TCI connections so it doesn't get damaged as the coils won't be grounded.

I just finished rebuilding my engine so l turned it over by hand with a spanner on the end of the crankshaft where the pick up coils are. The engine will sit for some time so l then turned it over on the starter motor with the cam cover off and the oil was coming out of the caps on the right hand side of the cylinder head. You should take the cam cover off and oil the top end as a precaution. The motor should be fine just don't start it until you have spun it on the starter motor and can see oil getting to the cam caps on the right hand side of the cylinder head. That's where your oil feed gallery runs from the crankcase up through the cylinders or Juggs.

As it has been sitting for years you could change the valve cover gasket and bolt seals as a precaution against leaks. You are better to remove the cam cover to oil cams even if the cover gasket leaked. If it does it will leak when the bike is on the road anyway.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Toomanybikes likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Here is my rebuilt engine filled with oil so I can turn it over as it will not be put back into the bike until next year. As my engine is out of the frame I made sure the lead going to the crankcase was connected to the negative post of the battery. Having said that if it is was connected the wrong way the starter clutch rollers would not grip the alternator shaft so the crankshaft would not rotate anyway.

While you have your valve cover off check your valve clearances and reshim as necessary. The clearances must be within spec before you do any work on the carburettors.

Engine Rebuild and filled with oil.jpg

Timbox likes this.
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

With the cam cover off oil comes out of the holes circled red.

Caps oil comes out of in red.jpg

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would say do what the manual suggests for a freshly rebuilt engine: fill the oil filter/housing with oil before you turn it over, to prime the oil pump.

Then spin it over a few times with TCI unplugged before you try to fire it... and if you've done nothing with the carbs yet, be prepared for it to pee gas all over itself and into the crankcase when you do.

k-moe likes this.
  6. jag3

jag3 Member

Franz, thank you for the response. There are certain things I feel comfortable with, like doing the spin-on oil filter and brake system rebuild. I'm not too comfortable with doing the valves myself so and I called the local bike shop and they want about $650 to do it. Can I turn the motor without having to remove any covers or do I absolutely have to remove them and are these the covers to remove, the YICS on the right side and is it the round cover in the middle or the small part to the right on the left side that's the starter? Will I need to replace gaskets here? Can I get around having to remove the valve cover or is this a must? I just spent a lot with Chacal (XJ4ever) on a bunch of other parts and right now I'm apped out. Plus I dont think the with likes the idea of me spending to much more money since I'm approaching half the cost of when I bought it new.

Thanks for your help.
    Joe 20201002_104545.jpg 20201002_104521.jpg

7. jag3

jag3 Member

Hi Bigfitz, thanks for the reply and help. What is TCI? I'm just figuring out bikes here, I do know a bit cars though. I did rebuild the carbs so hopefully I don't spill too much gas and does it really need gas just to bump it over to get oil through the motor? I'm not looking to ride just yet because I have the brake system to rebuild with stainless lines and calipers and master cylinder to rebuild but do want to get it filled with oil and lubed.

Thank you for your help.
    Joe

8. bigfitz52

There is nothing behind the "YICS" cover on the right side of the bike. The TCI is the electronic ignition "black box." Disconnecting it is the easiest way to prevent damage if there are no plugs t0 fire.

You can turn the motor over manually by removing the "YICS" cover on the left, and carefully turning the crank counterclockwise using the square boss on the timing plate. BE CAREFUL not to "CRASH INTO" the ignition pickup coils in the process.

In your left-side pic (above) the larger, shiny cover right behind the cylinders is the alternator, and the smaller, matte-silver object to the rear of that is the butt-end of the starter motor.

The cost of having a shop do valve adjustments is why they were often neglected. This is something that is required every 5000 miles; if you plan to ride your XJ you need to learn the process. It's not difficult, you just need to pay attention to what you're doing. If you neglect them it can get way more expensive.

YOU NEED A SERVICE MANUAL.

cgutz and k-moe like this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Joe before you go to a shop for the valve clearances there are very knowledable people here. Bigfits has a how to do the clearances on the forum. We will help you and you can get your machine running the way it was designed too. The valve clearances you can do with us. If you don't learn to do them you cannot be sure the shop has done them right anyway.

10. bigfitz52

In answer to your other questions (my apologies) yes, you're going to need to remove the valve cover and replace the (not inexpensive) molded gasket as well as the metal/rubber composite 'donuts' under the bolt heads. Those 'donuts' are what actually press the cover against the gasket and if you don't replace those, the new gasket will leak. The bolts have stop shoulders so cannot be overtightened to compensate. The round "YICS" covers, referred to by Yamaha as "oil pump cover" (which is ridiculous) need a gasket on the left because there are important bits in there (ignition pickups) but no gasket is used on the right because there is literally nothing in there. (Some folks like to fit one anyway.)

Hate to pee in your over-budget cornflakes, but be sure to check your rear brake shoes for delamination at some point prior to riding. Seven years is long enough for original shoes to have begun peeling away.

Dig up a factory service manual, and re-adjust yourself to becoming an XJ mechanic. You're going to have to spend some money on parts and possibly tools. Adding hourly labor for someone else to learn about old bikes on your nickel gets expensive right quick. Confidence comes with experience; if you're careful you won't hurt anything. Which is why I recommend the factory book. And we're here to ask questions of.

VALVE CLEARANCES, more thorough than the manual lots more pics: https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/bigfitzs-airhead-valve-adjustment-with-pics-parts-i-ii.116006/ If you read through this twice and are still not confident with the procedure, then ... tell me what I missed.

Oh, and leave the carbs off until you're ready to fire it up. Easier access to everything for the work you need to do first.

cgutz, Rooster53 and k-moe like this.
  11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Joe, so I’m just chopped liver now?!??! Lol

12. jag3

jag3 Member

Hi Dave, Nope, definitely not chopped liver, I'd go with filet, the cream of the crop. But did I miss something? I apologize if I did. I rebuilt my carbs and hopefully did them justice. But I know not as well as they would have been if I sent them to you because I didn't break them apart. If they need redoing when they go back on you're the man to send them to. I do like the repost of the valves you did but I don't feel comfortable enough doing them.

13. hogfiddles

You can do the valve clearances!!! It’s not that hard. We can talk you through it. You have my number, so you can always call with any question on any step at any time. It does not matter if it’s huge question or a quick ‘hey just wanna double check that im doin this right”, etc......

cgutz likes this.
  14. jag3

jag3 Member

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that. I guess first I should get a valve cover gasket, doughnuts and the tool required and then figure out what shims I'll need. Guess I'll get with Chacal for the kit.
    Thanks,
    Joe

hogfiddles likes this.
  15. hogfiddles

Gasket, donuts, Allen wrench, metric feeler gauges is all you need.....and a few zip ties and tape. Use The zip ties or the wire method. SOOOO much easier, quicker, and safer than ”the tool”.

after you do you measurement and figure out what shims you can move around, then know what ones you need, then you check with me for the shim pool. No need to buy an expensive kit

16. bigfitz52

Well all right. True about the use of the holding tool for a first timer, at least with a hunk of #12 house wire you can't crack the head. Zip ties too unfriendly, sharp edges on them, etc.

Somebody tell me what else I can possibly add to the "how to" to make it any easier?

17. tj.

tj. Active Member

Nothing!...it's an excellent guide...just used it.

18. jag3

jag3 Member

Since I'll need to remove the left side YICS cover to turn the engine to adjust the valves and get new oil throughout. Where do I get the gasket for the round "YICS" cover on the left side?

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Len will have the gasket.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  20. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Do you eat breakfast cereal?