1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to the XJ club

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by IndyJ, Oct 8, 2020.

1. IndyJ

IndyJ New Member

Hey everybody, I just received and 81 XJ750R Seca. It’s been sitting in an building that’s been falling in for probably over 20 years. The cap for what is the stator I’m assuming had been taken off. The person that last had the bike told my brother that he thought the only thing wrong with it was a blown inline fuse that he couldn’t find. I don’t even know where to begin. The bikes gonna need a lot of Love overall to get it road ready. Any and all comments welcome and appreciated. Would like to get it running as soon as possible to make sure it’s worth dumping money into to make look a little nicer.

Attached Files:

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

It doesn't look bad, just dirty. Where is any rust? Is the side cover missing or just off? Post a picture of the other side.

IndyJ likes this.
  3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Pah!- call that a barn find? Wipe over with an oily rag and she'll be good to go.

IndyJ likes this.
  4. JCH

JCH Active Member

Welcome to the site !
    There is a lot... of past posts with the same question as yours, use your search engine on this site, you will find a ton of useful information spending some quality time on this site and loading up the paper on your printer.

IndyJ likes this.
  5. IndyJ

IndyJ New Member

The side cover is just off. I have them. There isn’t much rust honestly. Mainly just on the chrome piece on top of the carb and it’s just surface rust. Here’s a pic of the other side.

6. IndyJ

IndyJ New Member

Attached Files:

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The cover that is off is the ignition cover. The alternator (generator) is the large round cover just to the rear of the cylinders. It is more than a cover, the alternator brushes mount in the cover.

It's going to take quite a bit of time and money to get it running; a better approach to determining viability would be to do a compression test. The motor doesn't need to be running for that and it will give you an idea of what you might be getting into. As long as the motor will turn, all you need is a battery and a compression gauge. Be sure to unplug ignition box under seat if spinning motor with no spark plugs.

Honestly, it doesn't look that terrible. If the motor is viable it would be a worthwhile project. How many miles on it?

8. IndyJ

IndyJ New Member

It’s only got 9000 miles on it.

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

SWEET. Unless horribly abused, that's not enough to have damaged anything YET. Even if valve clearances neglected, they shouldn't be too bad-- YET.
    Carb and petcock issues often lead to gas in the oil; be sure the motor isn't full of gas/oil mixture before you start cranking it.

IndyJ likes this.
  10. IndyJ

IndyJ New Member

No gas in the oil. I put a battery in it and tried to crank it. The starter is trying to start it but nothing. There is a clicking coming from the round silver part above the battery. I’m assuming it’s a relay or solenoid.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

12. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum nice another Hoosier . Just so you know your bike has the hard luggage bracket ...if you want to sell this I'm in lol attached is some pictures of my bike with the bags . And here is my Johnny Cash bike one piece at a time. Cheers

Attached Files:

IndyJ likes this.
  13. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Welcome to the land of XJ's! Yours looks pretty good for not having had any attention for so many years. They really are pretty hard to kill. There has to be something dramatically obvious to make 1 un-fixable. Not going to be cheap though.
    Have fun, keep us up dated on your progress.
    John

IndyJ likes this.
  14. Jetfixer

Some items you should know, the Seca front brake master cylinder is cable operated and is located on right side under headlight . The Seca has an anti dive set up at bottom of the forks . You really should replace all four brake hoses with braided steel hoses ...on the upper right corner of the home page click on xj4ever. chacal has most parts for our bikes great service . The Seca has an Atari display in the middle of the cluster some like it others not so much please note the head light will not light up till engine is running . Your bike still still has stock airbox ...KEEP it that way , resist putting PODS on may look cool but unless you want to keep messing with jetting . You will need to do a full tear down of the carbs ...spray cleaner will never get carb fully clean inside and all rubber seals need replaced butterfly seals and fuel rail O rings and fuel mixture O rings . If you live in Indy , Cycle Recycle part two is worth visiting for parts . Cheers

IndyJ likes this.
  15. IndyJ

IndyJ New Member

Thanks for the advice. I’d sell the hard luggage bracket if you are interested. I was poking around last night and couldn’t figure out the best way to get it off.

16. Jetfixer

Mine is cracked on one side made a repair to it for now. The bracket is held on by several allen bolts and 10 mm nuts and there are 3 bolts with 13mm nuts and allen bolts . The stock set up has a polished grab bracket .

IndyJ likes this.
  17. IndyJ

IndyJ New Member

How much would you be willing to pay for it ?

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, nice looking bike. Keep us posted on how she comes along.