1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

ETHANOL FREE GAS (US & Canada)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Sep 27, 2020.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ethanol-free gasoline is becoming more available by the day, at least here in Michigan.

Locally, Marathon, Sunoco and Shell seem to be the most common. It's sold as "Recreational fuel" "Rec Gas" "REC90" or "REC89" and generally runs around 10-20 cents/gal more than regular.

Unfortunately, doesn't seem to be available in every State yet, see: https://www.pure-gas.org/

Enjoy.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

We have ethanol free chevron 94 in Canada

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Proper winter maintanance and updated rubber bits make ehthanol blends a non-issue. Do what you think best though.

4. Toomanybikes

I agree @k-moe that properly maintained bikes will not have a problem.
    It’s not just the rubber bits it’s the ethanol absorbs water and turns gas into a gelled mess.
    Or if any gas is left anywhere in the fuel system unless you use stabilizers or empty the fuel system.
    Or like out here there are days through the winter that are nice enough to ride the odd day. So I use chevron 94 and I can leave the bike for a month or two and just riiiiide.
    Unlike the other 95% of Canada that is a frozen mess, greater Vancouver is a treat in comparison. Much like Seattle lots of rain but not enough snow to ever invest in a snow blower.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. Toomanybikes

And Shell 91 ( in Canada)has no ethanol as well.

6. bigfitz52

DESPITE using Sta-Bil as I have for over 30 years, and doing everything I have always done to put my bikes into winter storage, it has been gas-related issues due to layover just over the past couple of years that made me look into it. The other concern I have is that these motors were simply not designed for ethanol-laced gas, so if I can run real gasoline, I will. It just hasn't been a viable option until recently.

biggs500 and k-moe like this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a thread on removing ethanol from fuel by mixing it with water. that causes the ethanol to seperate from gasoline

8. bigfitz52

Right. Which is why "dry gas" used to get water out of gas, is primarily ethanol. So this seems to be a circular firing squad.

the easiest way is to buy it with no ethanol in it, at a regular gas station, no screwing around required. Something that until recently has been difficult, but no longer is in a lot of locales. Personally, I'm very relieved and the bike feels happier too.

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

For its whole life, I have used nothing but real gas in my xj550. The dealer warned me never to use 'gas-ahol' when I drove it off the showroom. All these years later, my "rubber bits" are still basically ok!

Straight gas has remained available in SD, although a few times I have had to use premium to get it.

10. Hand

Hand New Member

Using 94 from chevron. Had it every where last night from setting the floats

Toomanybikes likes this.
  11. Toomanybikes

I assume that you did throttle shaft seals?

12. Hand

Hand New Member

Just got the bike and I'm going through everything and found the fuel height was way to high. Fuel was coming out of the air compensators half way up the carbs

And No I didn't do the seal

13. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I readily available in Georgia, but $.70-$.90 higher

14. bigfitz52

I REST MY CASE. It was $3.02 the other day when I filled up. The beauty of it is, even more stations are popping up that carry it. One of our reasonably local Marathon stations now has (4) pumps with it available.

15. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Since just about every station in my area sells regular gas, I select the gas stations that have separate hoses for each selection. That way the first quart or so of gas isn't what the last person used.

The price is a bit more than ethanol laced gas, but not significantly that it is an issue. I do run gasahol in my car, cheaper, but less mileage, so it is really not a savings.

That warning from the dealer not to use alcohol laced gas was literally his "last words" to me as I drove away...gasahol was just coming on the scene at the time.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  16. 4nik8r

4nik8r Member

I use only 94 octane ethanol-free gasoline in both my '82 Seca 550 and my '87Ninja 750R. I try to fill up on Thursdays, when the Ultramar stations sell it at the same price as 91 octane. I go as far as scanning each pump for both the dollar value and the volume of gas pumped by the last user, so I can tell if the last user pumped regular or the premium, then I only use a pump where the last user used premium - and there is usually one to be found on a Thursday due to the promo. That way, I avoid the quart of ethanol laced gas I might otherwise get. Too anal?

XJ550H likes this.
  17. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

All summer I'll run 87 octane with up ethanol. But, I switch to non-oxygenated in October so that, when the snow lands, I can quickly just top up the tank and drain the carbs as part of my winterization routine.

18. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

In South Georgia we ride year round. I have always used regular gas with ethanol and have never had any issues. I think that if you ride on a regular basis it's not a problem.

k-moe likes this.
  19. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Curious if your original carb "rubber bits" were replaced along the way. Perhaps modern replacement parts are more alcohol resistive?

My carbs still have all the original "rubber" bits...and no, there are no leaks, etc. I am almost embarrassed to say everything in the carbs are original because someone will tell me it can't be true the carbs have never been off the bike nor rebuilt and how can it possible run properly...but indeed it is true, and the bike runs great....no leaks, no seal problems, no leaking carb boots, etc. Colortune plugs shows mix is all in order at different revs...and it has never seen alcohol in the gas....

My name is Carl, and my carbs are still all original...
    Boy does that feel good to say.

XJ550H likes this.
  20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The original carb parts were ethanol safe. That transition happened for most manufacturers of U.S bound equipment in '79 (and some wayyyy before then; like Ford and the Model T).