1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Jerrod's 82 Yamaha XJ-750 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jerrod Robinson, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

2. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Ive had it out probably a dozen times, one day for the better part of 3 hours.. And I have to disagree, Valve seal's do more then keep oil out, they keep exhaust gas's in as well. Valves seal's can become worn over time, not allowing the valve's to seat properly. And then not only will oil start coming into the combustion chamber, but the exhaust gas's that create the compression will escape right past the unsealed valves resulting in low cylinder compression..

3. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

But I've had the Head off for 2 days now, as soon as parts arrive it's going to my buddy's shop.

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You do what you need to do Jerrod, but get your terminology right and it saves confusion. The things that seal the valves to engine gases are valve seats, not seals. Valve seals are on the stems - sometimes called stem seals. I believe that's the same both sides of the pond.

Franz and k-moe like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The valve stem seal never sees any exhaust gasses. The valve guides don't have enough gap to them for that to happen, but do have enough gap that oil can leak past. Your #2 plug shows no signs of any oil getting into the combustion chamber.

6. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Number 2 plug is on the left, the inside of the number 2 cylinder is very moist also. It's down right wet compared to the others. And my piston rings are good. And how can the valve seals not be exposed to exhaust gas's, when the valve seats in them? Everything the valve is exposed to, the seal would have to make contact with as well..

Attached Files:

7. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Oh and I poured a ounce of fluid into each intake tube, and the only valve that leaked was number 2. It came dribbling right out. The valves in 2 are functioning properly, but they are not making a good seal when closed.

8. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Hmm, I've always been told Valve seals. And both terms bring up the exact same part when entered. May be a matter of preference, idk. Either way eBay knew what I was talking about, and the new parts will be here Saturday, so that's all that matters i suppose..

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Valve stem oil seals are to stop oil getting into the combustion chamber.

k-moe likes this.
  10. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Yeah, I've heard of valve stem seals. I was saying valve seals, which some people are saying are valve seats. But I've never heard them called that. I've always heard Valve seals, and Valve Stem seals. Never heard them called valve seats.

11. k-moe

I've never read a manual for any engine that calls them anything other than valve seats. I've done all my own wrenching for 40 years, and have worked on engines twice as old as I.

12. Minimutly

@k-moe and me both, maybe slightly more than 40 years for me. Valves are sealed by the valve seating ring (on the valve), and valve seats (in the head). Valve stems run in valve guides, which have valvebseals, or stem seals (same thing), to stop lubricant dribbling onto the back face of the valve and getting burnt off. Now, if your valves aren't sealing, and the thing hasn't been run with closed valve gaps/lash/clearances, the chances are that both the valve and valve seats may be fine, but have some carbon fouling. Running the engine would either improve this or not. If not, you remove the valves, regrind or recut the seat (in the head) and the seating on the valve (or replace the valve), then redo the clearances.
    You do not fit new seats. Oh, but you would change the stem seals since they are pennies (cents?) and need no machining...
    Good luck.

k-moe likes this.
  13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It's amazing really the times valves open and close over an engines lifetime that they don't fail. Very rarely do engines drop valves.

k-moe likes this.
  14. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I had a Mazda car drop one back in the early 80's. The piston didn't like that.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The only time I have heard of that happening was at Santa Pod in England on a GPZ 900, the owner wouldn't have liked it.

16. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I know quite a few people that say valve stem seals, and valve seals. And I suspect that everyone knew the exact part I was talking about, when I said I have low compression becuse my valves aren't sealing off. It's not a big deal, different people use different terms, i certainly have no interest in going back and forth about it..

17. k-moe

Proper terms matter. Not everyone here understood what you meant. And that does matter when we try to give you good advice.

a100man likes this.
  18. Minimutly

Personally, I couldn't care less, if you're daft enough to have new valve seats pressed in, then recut, reground, lapped, also replace the valve, lap it in, set clearances - good luck to you - you'll never be short of something to do.

a100man likes this.
  19. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Been reading up on everything I'm doing right now. And there was miscommunication between me and my buddy looking at my head. He never did a compression test. But if he were to, it would likely indicate High Compression level's according to what I've been reading. I assumed becuse seals were bad that it was low compression. But I now know my assumption was wrong after studying up. So that's where I'm at. Yes the technical name of the parts I ordered is Valve Stem seals. But I did think they were just called valve seals. Never heard the stem part till this conversation.

k-moe likes this.
  20. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I have the stem seals, and my current pain in the a*# is tracking down a valve spring compressor that will work on an unexposed valve spring. Bought the wrong tool. But I'll get it figured out.