1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ1100J Project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DocBrown1985, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I change out the chain tensioner with a aftermarket one as mine was leaking oil so badly. As far as that drain plug...WOW who would do that? I would not try to fix that, get another pan because you will never be confident it will hold for ever. I guess is you can't find a new pan, you can drop the pan and have it TIG welded and then tap it again.

2. DocBrown1985

DocBrown1985 New Member

So here is the nifty little clutch holding tool I fabricated last week.
    IMG_6788.JPG IMG_6789.JPG

Then I pulled the clutch.
    IMG_6790.JPG

Aaannnd, removed the engine. It was a heavy S.O.B. to remove by myself, but when it's 2 am on a Saturday night, everybody else is sleeping.
    IMG_6791.JPG IMG_6792.JPG

Franz likes this.
  3. JCH

JCH Active Member

Has anyone tired putting the bike in gear and brake on and removal of the nut with a air wench and reinstalling with a torque stick,i realize that it is not the recommend procedure.

4. DocBrown1985

DocBrown1985 New Member

Andy's Motorcycle Obsession's on youtube exclusively uses his impact gun to remove and reinstall the clutch on his XS1100. Not necessarily endorsing it, but if it works, it works.

5. JCH

JCH Active Member

It's very common in the automotive industry or better said everyone !
    I did hear about a guy snapping off a Pinon gear using one once... to remove the nut and that always stuck in my head.

6. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I have always used a impact gun to remove the clutch nut. Torque stick to put it back on. Never had any problems with that.

DocBrown1985 likes this.
  7. JCH

JCH Active Member

I also remember guys using impacts on timing gear nuts and that was a big no no , some metals don't do well with them but your usually ok if you control your settings accordingly.

8. DocBrown1985

DocBrown1985 New Member

Took the tensioner off and inspected it. It appears to be operating properly, according to the information I read in the FSM. The PO must have RTV'd some kind of plug in the exposed end. He must've really liked RTV. Every single cover I have removed so far has not had a gasket on it, just a razor-thin layer of RTV.
    IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6794.JPG IMG_6795.JPG IMG_6797.JPG IMG_6798.JPG IMG_6799.JPG IMG_6800.JPG IMG_6801.JPG

9. JCH

JCH Active Member

Gaskets cost money ...LOL

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I replaced the OEM one with a aftermarket one. That was on my XS but same idea. Gasket kit would be the way to go for lest costly. Good luck.