1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81' XJ650 Maxim (stator issues)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chuckles, Oct 1, 2020.

1. chuckles

chuckles New Member

ive had my bike diagnosed by a local shop and have been told its my stator that is my issue. which i figured it was. however i wanna fix this myself, does anyone know where i can get a step by step instruction on how to change my stator out?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start by making sure that the shop didn't misdiagnose.

What were the symptoms that led to you taking the bike to a shop?

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeah no kidding. Most shops will have zero clue about the Yamaha alternators of our era; the brushes are a "wear item" whereas the stator is essentially a "brick." (Which can become worn but rarely outright fails.) Unless they removed the alternator cover and properly diagnosed it, I would not take their diagnosis too seriously. They may have jumped to a conclusion based on low alternator output.

You may need to remove the alternator cover, clean everything thoroughly and carefully, and replace your alternator brushes.

How many miles on the bike? That will provide a clue...

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

Also, not so long ago I lived in BFE Kansas. There are very few decent motorcycle shops there, and none of them are fluent in 80's Yamaha.

Sd farmer likes this.
  5. chuckles

chuckles New Member

I can ride the bike for awhile after i charge the battery. But eventually it dies and after that i get nothing. I turn the key over and all i get is my lights. I try to start it and absolutely nothing happens. Its a brand new battery and brand new regulator. I have 2 friends that work specifically on older bikes that both said its the stator, 1 of which owns his own shop.

6. chuckles

chuckles New Member

How do i replace the brushes? Sorry, im 100% new to working on bikes. Im use to working on trucks and cars. The bike has 41.5k miles

7. k-moe

The alternator brushes are a wear item, and are more likely to be the culprit than the stator.
    Pull the alternator cover and inspect (left side of the engine, big round cover held on by three screws) The brushes are in a holder in the cover and have a wear limit of 10mm, and the wear limit is marked by a line in the brushes. Clean the traces on the rotor with a hard eraser.
    Your freind with a shop should know better than to guess about the cause of a problem. He should have pulled his meter out and tested the stator for you.

Also Read This First

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So the "diagnosis" was word-o-mouth based on a description of symptoms, second hand?

That ain't a diagnosis it's a SWAG, and probably wrong as K-Moe points out. If the alternator has never been apart, you'll need a new cover gasket. On the 550s the new gasket is thin aluminum; check with Len for your bike.

TIPS: Be very careful of the wires from the cover (the brushes are in the cover) and the little rubber half-grommet where they go through the case. Wires are probably baked a tad crispy but will be OK as long as you don't go excessively flexing or twisting them.

If there is no "wear line" visible in the brushes, it's because they've worn past it.

DO NOT "flood" or saturate the stator with contact cleaner; apply your solvent of choice to a shop towel to clean it. If you use an eraser as suggested, be sure to clean it thoroughly afterward.

Try not to laugh when you figure out just how primitive the whole thing is.

9. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Thank you guys for the help on the brushes. I will update yall as soon as i get the chance to check them out.

10. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Ok guys, i changed out the brushes. Although i can still see the line on them. Its not even half way worn to the line yet but went ahead and changed them. I charged my battery and put it in. Now it will fire up, but revs super high and starts blowing white smoke and the rpms will not lower. Any ideas?

11. chuckles

chuckles New Member

16032248424346116655670992128075.jpg here is a pic of one the ones i took off

12. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Ok scratch the rpm issue. I got that fixed. Throttle cable was sticking. However, after that i got it to run for a about 3min. Amd smoke starting coming from under my engine and continued through my exhaust as stated before.

13. k-moe

White smoke?
    That's just dust and condensation burning off.

chuckles likes this.
  14. chuckles

chuckles New Member

How long does it take for that to go away? It has been rained on a bit since i have it under a car port its not completely protected from the elements. And has sat for about 2months

15. k-moe

About 10 minutes. Maybe a bit longer.
    It even happens to mine after winter storage in an fully-enclosed garage.

16. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Okay but the part that worries me is the smoke coming from under the engine. It has an off smell to it and gets worse the longer it runs. I dont wanna screw something up by letting it run amd it be something other than moisture or dust.

17. k-moe

Perhaps there is an oil leak as well.
    A visual inspection will confirm, or rule that out.

18. chuckles

chuckles New Member

I just checked. I do have oil on the underside of the engine. Where the clutch is (left side). Could i replace that seal very easily?

19. k-moe

The clutch cover seal is easily replaceable. Drain the oil. before replacing.
    The correct new gasket can be had from @chacal.]
    Don't be surprised if you find RTV instead of a proper gasket when you pull the cover off.

20. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Thanks. Now my next project will be putting new turn signals on. It didnt have any when i got it