1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hey guys, been awhile!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Maxwell Partridge, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

I've been AWOL for awhile because I got 2 new bikes this summer and paid a lot of attention to them, Now I'm back and getting ready to work on the Yamaha Maxim again this winter after getting a few things for one of the other bikes, (07 CRF450X). I was doing a bit of research into the Maxim again because I was just getting myself reacquainted with the bike and stumbled across this when looking into carb issues: "https://aminoapps.com/c/motorcycle-...on-cv-carbs/PQ6Q_8Bhmu0NlQ3nWM1dvoeMJ3Vj1Zn2d". What's your guys take on this? He even low-key threw xjbikes.com under the bus about the whole "You can't get pods to work" thing, I'm not taking sides here since I like to try and stay neutral, I understand pods can work on any carb but some will take a lot more tuning work than others to get running right. My ZRX1200R I installed pods and a jet kit on it, got it dynoed and the dude said I didn't even need to mess with it anymore, it was running pretty good but I COULD THEORETICALLY squeeze a tiny more juice outta it. I know podding an XJ wouldn't be that easy XD.

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

He glosses over several facts that would debunk his "theory of how these work" - seems to think that constant velocity is everything, while in truth the real need /goal or whatever you want to call the purpose of the diaphragm/piston thing is constant vacuum. That's constant vacuum at the jet, which means the vacuum drawing fuel out doesn't go up as a square in relation to air volume.
    However, he has found that a short stack can aleviate many issues, which ties in with what others have found, and his drawings are good.

3. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Yeah, alleviating an issue but ignoring other issues that it may cause or the other issues that are not being addressed by it. I think pods look sick and will prolly eventually pod my XJ when I get the chance because it's air box is completely disintegrating, you touch it slightly too hard and it will crumble in and bend. I don't want to run it because once you get vacuum running through it I'd prefer my engine not ingesting plastic particles xD.
    Not only that I'm disabled and don't work, so I have plenty of time on my hands to adjust and work on the bike to my hearts content, the biggest thing for me is money... Not to mention I'd rather not have to rip the entire engine out just to remove the airbox for replacement if I found another one, stupid Yamaha design at it's finest....

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The airbox can be removed without even touching the engine.
    Airboxes are not expensive.
    If your's in such bad condition then there are other plastic and rubber parts that need to be replaced.

5. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Can you tell me how to remove it then? Every page I've seen say you need to move the engine forward or remove it entirely because the airbox is one unit.

6. k-moe

Remove the fuel tank.
    Remove the seat.
    Remove the fusebox from the airbox
    Remove the starter.
    Remove the battery and battery box.
    Remove the intake boots from the carbs and push them into the airbox.
    Remove the carbs.

You now have room to remove the airbox.

7. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Where do you find the airbox? I've showered ebay looking for one for my 81 xj550j and I cant find one anywhere. I bought my bike and it came with pods but I wanna go back to stock box.

8. k-moe

Place an wanted ad here, or contact Chacal to se if he has any.
    They do show up on Ebay, but less often than they used to. Quite a few NA only bikes have been exported to the UK over the past few years, along with spares.