1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Reattachement of the cylinderheadsensor after adjusting the valves.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i sinned. i took the solenoid out of my seca and put it in my cub cadet to get the grass cut

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

I broke down today. amongst 100's, 1000's of bikers [biketoberfest] , oh the humanity ! clutch cable bead popped. bought a year ago NOS OME. - forgot to take cell, walked 4mi. to yammie dealer, all they could do is a cable repair kit. - got me home.

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I bought a set of vertical mikunis for my vmax 1200, needed a spare body to replace one with a stuck/drilled/still stuck mix screw. Sods law the one I wanted also had the same issue. So I took them all apart to see if No2 could work instead of No4 - yes! - with the exception of the pressed in fuel inlet. Firstly though, I had a look at the mix screw - I managed to push it out with some mig wire, then ground a flat bladed screwdriver to cut out the remaining threads. Well yahoo, the screw remains came out on the end of the "screwdriver" success then:)
    Sadly the other carb on the bought rack wasn't so successful, the PO had drilled the threads in the body, so getting the remains of the screw out didn't help me. I may consider making an insert, threaded inside and out, but it's really a last ditch effort...

5. RangerG

RangerG Member

I started in August. Tore down the top end of my Seca 550. Cylinders are in spec so I ordered new rings, valve seals and all needed o-rings and gaskets from Len.
    In Oct I finally got back to my best friends place to put it back together. Shortly after starting I ripped a piece out of the new base gasket. F*^k!
    Rick just got out some gasket material and we made a new one.
    Things went smooth until we tried to get cams lined up properly to be in time. Two hours later with a lunch break and some bad words and suddenly we had everything lined up. Involved Rick holding his finger in the camchain tension hole and me rocking the engine back and forth and somehow it all lined up.
    It fired up nicely and we rode to the local shop for a new battery. Seems to run nice, maybe a little rich. My son and I got about 50 kms on it but we have winter and it will sit until May. Looking forward to break in and fine tuning.

Attached Files:

chacal likes this.
  6. jpacman

jpacman Member

No physical mods but I did fully pack the bike for the first time for a camping trip to Maine and back. Up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. About 42 degrees this afternoon.

Will need to investigate a starting issue...
    DSC01319 - Copy.JPG

ksigurdsen, RangerG and Simmy like this.
  7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

4 inches of snow yesterday. Time to winterize the XJ and move it to the front of the garage where the snow blower is stored, and move the snow blower near the door. Sigh...

8. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Went on a 60+ mile ride yesterday with my son with temps in the lower 40's. Was a bit chilly but got to check out his new 1999 Honda Magna 750.

9. Sean.Ottawa

Sean.Ottawa New Member

I bought grommets for the electrics tray I made, and brake lines, and muriatic acid, and epoxy gas tank liner . . . hopefully they’re all going on the bike on Saturday

10. Minimutly

Fitted some new mixture screw o rings to my vmax carbs, started on wet setting them one at a time - you have to break the rack to remove the float chambers.
    Also been collecting bits for my xj900f bitsa build - 900 diversion rear wheel and swing arm, fj1200 front forks (w i d e ),
    long term project, based on a purchased frame, engine and, well, bits. Will need to decide on a tank and seat, I'd like a 650 seca style, but I have a 650 maxim tank, and seca ones aren't that common, even over here...

11. jag3

jag3 Member

Purchased new caliper pistons and glass master cylinder lens from Len at XJ4EVER the other day. He has everything you need to keep these vintage cycles running, excellent customer service and knows these bikes. Still need to clean the seal grooves a lot better before I can start putting things back together though. This is a total pain because they don't want to come clean and I've tried a lot of stuff and ways.

12. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Over here it originated when people bought insurance write-offs (either their own or somebody else's) and got the bones of a fairly recent fast bike for peanuts. Fancy tanks and bodywork didn't appeal to them.
    Of course, it had been going on for a loooooong time before anybody thought to strike a new name for it.

13. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

70 degrees yesterday and today...from my Oct 26 post above you can see I already stored my XJ550. Sigh...

Oh well, needed a new battery anyway, and thought I would wait until spring to start the season with a fresh battery.

14. Minimutly

Decided to bite the bullet and fit the rebuilt carbs to the vmax - it would be daft not to check and correct valve clearances at the same time. Well xj owners have it easy - the vmax has to have the water drained, radiator removed, carbs removed, and all the bits of hoses, wires etc tied out of the way. Fingers crossed I don't need that many shims...

15. Chris gallipo

Chris gallipo New Member

My son and I tried getting his 1982 xj550 to start. But I noticed that after it started it sounds like the starter is still engaged. Anyone have an idea why this is? Thanks.

16. jag3

jag3 Member

Received my parts (caliper pistons and master cylinder sight glass) from Len and they look great and a perfect fit. I will say I've purchased parts from others but they didn't fit so sent them back and went to Xj4ever and never had an issue, fit perfectly and ended up being cheaper.
    Primered the calipers but saw a couple of runs so tomorrow I break out sandpaper and knock em down then add another coat and prime the master cylinder. Eventually things will get rebuilt.

17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Your starter button is probably sticking when it is depressed. Take the control apart and clean it.....

18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

could be the starter button is sticking
    or solinoid is sticking.
    then it could be a bad diode block and your low on oil( i doubt this)
    when you change your oil turn key on see if starter spins by its self i had a bad dide bolck which would do this, its a good test to do when you change your oil it will also tell you that your oil switch is working by lighting the oil bulb.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I don’t see how anything other than the starter button and/or solenoid would get power to the starter. If the starter stays engaged, then it’s either a sticky contact in the right control or in the solenoid..... unless one of the wires in that same circuit is shorting to power.

20. jag3

jag3 Member

Finished priming the calipers and master cylinder. They started like this 20201031_140614.jpg 20201030_170552.jpg 20201025_112948.jpg
    Went to this
    20201030_155006.jpg 20201030_173414.jpg
    And currently this.
    20201110_213419.jpg
    The handlebars make good parts hangers while the primer cures. All thats left now is to add the finish coat, then rebuild everything. Now the questions. What can I do to keep brake fluid from eating the finish? I'm using Black Dupli-color caliper paint which is supposed to be chemical resistant. Is there a top coat that can be applied as an additional layer of protection or can I use a synthetic fluid that isn't as harsh? Do I need to bake the parts first before adding the finish coat? I'm using VHT primer. If I do need to bake the primer and paint do you think the BBQ grill would work?
    Thank you for your advice.

Yammaat likes this.