1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ultrasonic Cleaner Q's

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Oct 18, 2020.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Hey everybody. I'm rebuilding my carbs and I bought an ultrasonic cleaner to help me in the process. I split open the rack of carbs and stripped everything down to the carb bodies EXCEPT the throttle shafts and butterfly valves and I put one carb body in the cleaner with a simple a simple diluter degreaser for 20 minutes. You wouldn't believe how black that water was afterwards, there's a lot of dirt in these old carbs but man those carbs look really clean. Firstly, is it okay that I left the throttle shaft and butterfly seals on the carb bodies? Secondly, should I continue to use the ultrasonic cleaner on each carb body until the water stays crystal clear or is the murky, black water a by product of ultrasonic cleaning? What temperature should I set the ultrasonic cleaner to. Thanks in advance.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What did you use for a solvent?

3. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Attached Files:

4. k-moe

Butyl Carbitol is one of the ingredients in that. Get new throttle shaft seals.

5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Does that mean I have to take the throttle shafts out? What would you suggest I use?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. k-moe

The throttle shafts do have to come out.
    As to the second question I need more specifics. Are you talking about the solvent, tools, or seals?
    In all honesty the throttle shaft seals are good for about 10 years of daily riding. Replacing them on a used bike is prudent regardless of their condition.

7. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I've tried taking the screws out connecting the butterfly valve to the throttle shaft and it looks rather weird behind the screw. Like it was smashed. In any case, I can't get those things out. Any suggestions?

8. k-moe

The screws were peened over at the factory so they would not come loose. Take a file to the backside and cut the peening away.

9. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Stuff a pice of wood in the opening to hold the butterflies open while filling.

10. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Ugh! This is going to be the never ending carb rebuild. Thanks guys.

11. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

To my surprise it was pretty easy filing down the screws holding the butterfly valves to the throttle shaft and with a little penetrating fluid and some persuasion the screws came right out. Also surprising was how intact the throttle shaft seals were. They were still flexible and soft. I wasn't having any leaking problems before. Should I just take a chance and not worry about the other 3?

k-moe likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Since you have the carburettors stripped down better to replace them now I think.

StarGeneral and k-moe like this.
  13. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Do it right , do it once .

k-moe and Franz like this.
  14. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Ok. Another question. Even though they're filed down can I reuse the same butterfly valve screws and use Loctite on them or will I have to buy new screws?

15. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I have a few questions about float height differences. In the first pic there are three different floats. The shiny one is from the new carb kit. The one in the middle is from an '86 FJ that I was working on and the third is the original float from the xj900 that I can only assume is the stock float. When I put the float needle in them the the FJ and NEW float have a rubber tip needle in them while the xj900 has the original bare tip needle in it. I want to change the floats to either the new one or the FJ because the xj900 float is all chewed up inside but as you can see they all have different heights. Am I splitting hairs here or do I have to use the same height as the original xj900 float seat and needle?

Attached Files:

16. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That’s like asking 10 people how to use a cast iron pan, you’ll get 12 responses.

Personally I reuse and loctite them unless damaged or head is stripped.

k-moe likes this.
  17. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

That's exactly what I did and it's fine.

18. k-moe

Those are the float needle seats. The floats are the big foam things that...well they float.

Use the best set of float needls seats that you have. Use the best set of float needles that you have. Use new o-rings.
    After setting the float height you are going to set the fuel level anyway, so the overall length of the float needles won't matter much. You'll be tweaking the float tab anyway.
    Setting the fuel levels

19. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Hot water aids in Ultrasonic cleaning, maybe 120f or there abouts. I also bought my ultrasonic cleaner specifically for carburetors nothing better IMO.
    Simple green is a popular solution. The ultrasonic cleans gun parts very well. mechanical clocks, jewelry, anything requiring detail cleaning. One part Mr. Clean, one part ammonia. and hot water. works well and cheap.
    Cheers, 50gary

dkavanagh likes this.
  20. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I need help. I have two carburetors that sometimes leaks and sometimes doesn't. I was wet setting all the float heights today getting the level right in that sweet spot and the first three carbs went perfect. I come to the fourth one and I couldn't get the carb to stop leaking. And then all of a sudden the 1st carb starts leaking and the 4th is fine. So, I open them up and can't find a single problem. So I go for it and put them on the bike and now both carbs are leaking and then after I ran them on the carbs they both stop leaking. Why am I getting this on again off again leak problem?