1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81' XJ650 Maxim (stator issues)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chuckles, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Inquiring minds want to know - is it charging? You should have 14.5V +/- .3V across a fully charged battery when above about 2000 RPM.

2. chuckles

chuckles New Member

I dont have a volt meter to check it. Best i can do is run it and see if it dies or not

3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

This sounds like a perfect time to buy a good quality meter. You will use it many times over. Get a good multimeter. Buy once cry once.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Even a $12 analog meter is better than no meter, and you can keep it stored on the bike without worrying about it getting lost or broken.

5. chuckles

chuckles New Member

I do plan on buying another one. My last one got stolen (it wasnt a cheap one either). Question... If oil has leaked onto my exhaust pipe, will that smoke once the bike warms up? Its actually nice out today and i fired it up, no smoke from exhaust pipe end but still coming from under engine. 16034070716612018538052563746661.jpg

6. chuckles

chuckles New Member

No the bike is not charging. Brushes are changed, i charged the battery and rode for a bit till it died again. Next step im guessing is to change the stator?

7. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Perhaps, but I would suggest investing in a DMM and measuring the stator yourself just for reassurance. The specified resistance is .46 ohms +/- 10% between phases with all phases open to ground. The .46 measurement is a stretch for any standard DMM, so expect a reading just outside the upper end of the spec.

k-moe and chuckles like this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If oil gets on the exhaust it will make smoke. It'll be more grey than white though.

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Should've saved your money on those brushes and put it towards a cheap meter at Harbor freight. That's the only way to diagnose a charging system, even the best on this forum can't help you from the symptoms. The FSM has a detailed troubleshooting chart with tests, takes less then 30 min to do them all and you'll know where your problem is.

Also, just because your regulator is new doesn't mean it is good, there are a ton of cheap aftermarket ones out there that are junk. I can't recall how many bikes I've worked on over the years, I've only ever had one bad regulator. If you don't want to buy a meter, start taking all the connections apart and cleaning them. That's about the only thing you can do without throwing money at parts you probably don't need.

chuckles, k-moe and Franz like this.
  10. chuckles

chuckles New Member

From what i understand the stator is the last part i have to replace. And i bought it awhile back, just been trying to avoid doing it and starting with the simpler things first. But yes i do need to get a meter

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

back to basics have you cleaned the ground connections? battery to motor, motor to frame and the grounds at the ignition coil bolts?cleaned battery connect ions?

consider replacing those bolts at coils if they are all rusted.
    now about the battery
    even new batterys can be bad.
    when you charge the battery what voltage does it read after charging and what voltage does it read after sitting over night 12 to 18 hours?
    charger must be 1.5 to 2 amps max
    what kind of battery is it? How old?
    lead acid is it full of acid to the spec lines?
    only use distilled water to refill.

beg borrow or buy a meter.

12. XJ550H

13. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Can anyone give me some advice for getting this bolt out? 16047807342006539484522819346031.jpg

14. XJ550H

put bike in gear and tighten rear brake then have someone apply pressure to brake. use an impact driver or long breaker bar to losen bolt.

you will need a tool to remove rotor after bolt is out