1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650 revival

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kweb1889, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

So i bought this bike a few weeks ago it's my first XJ and my first bike build. The oil pan is leaking really bad underneath just wondering how hard it would be to change and with it being so old should I do all new gaskets? It has a 4-1 exhaust obviously not stock they had it bolted in with random bolts and their were no gaskets and the flare looks broken soni cant be getting a good seal. Should I reuse this exhaust or is it un usable? Oh and my fuse box is missing what should I do about that? In line fuses maybe? I'll attach pics any advice on where to start would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The oil pan the red circle is the oil level sensor. The frame looks to have serious corrosion at the top right of the picture.

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

It's not allways obvious if or where the sump is leaking - get under it and clean it all down to asses it, then decide. The corrosion - if it is indeed corrosion is not unusual under there and will need looking at, probably engine out repair, but nothing hard to do.
    I can't make out if that stud removal has worked or been cocked up? Don't make a mess of this, it's easy to cock this up too.
    All in all a very nice project, once the little jobs are done. One at a time. Has it run yet? If not do that first, check valve clearances, gears and clutch work, then brakes, frame, sump, fuse box, paint?, seat - hours of fun!

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

My machine has been welded at the side stand. What kind of welding is best for frame repair. It's a skill l need to learn on scrap metal to begin with.

5. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I see what your saying about the corrosion I will address that thanks for pointing it out. It's a complete bike with original seat even original saddle bags that I will probably sell. Yes the bike runs and it runs well when I bought it it fired right up and rode down the road but it idled really rough and I think it was cuz the boots were all ripped on the carbs. I rebuilt the carbs and got new boots. I'm going to pull the Motor and do the valve cover and check clearance. I'm hoping that the oil pan (Or sump sorry like I said this is my first build so not sure what that is) just has a bad gasket. Do you think I should do all gaskets in the motor since it's so old? And do you have any advice on what to do about the missing fuse box? Are in line fuses a bad idea?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  6. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I didnt notice that corrosion until now I agree I'll have to weld everything up it's a hollow tube frame so I should be able to weld in a new section thanks for pointing that out

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It's a common problem with the frames in that area near the sidestand I believe. Should be a good project for you getting the bike sorted out.

Kweb1889 likes this.
  8. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

So I got my 81 xj550j maxim a couple weeks ago the po said that it just needed the carbs tuned and a shifter shaft seal. Well come to find out one of the bolts and springs that hold the clutch in the basket where snapped off taking the post with it so I ordered a new clutch basket fo an 83 550 seca should fit. It looks like this guy had wrecked this bike on the left side judging by the case cover and the fact that the pedal doesn't want to go back on like something forced It off. So my question is if it was wrecked on the left side is their anything i need to check for? He had the clutch rigged with springs as well and obviously he was doing something inside the cluth housing (to break bolt off) could it have been damaged from the fall on the opposite side maybe if the shifter shaft hit hard? I dunno guys just looking for advice as I've never wrecked a bike before. You can see in the pic below that it hit hard enough to blow a hole in the left case cover

Attached Files:

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Doubtful wrecked clutch dropping it on the left side more likely he over tighten the bolts and snap them off and that's why he sold the bike. Or the bolt snapped locked up the bike and he dropped it on the left side. For the shift lever use a wedge screwdriver spread the Gap a little then it should slide right on .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Jetfixer and Kweb1889 like this.
  10. XJ550H

The clutch bolt and spring do wear and stretch and have to be replaced whenever you take the clutch apart.

Kweb1889 likes this.
  11. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you for the advice their I bought the new (used) basket comes with the bolts and springs. Should get new bolts and springs I know but girls budgets sake I'm going to try and make these work just for one season then I'll redo the clutch. He has springs holding on to where the clutch cable attaches on the top of the clutch cover that are not stock could their be something wrong with the clutch that would require extra springs to hold it back?

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

New bolts for sure

13. XJ550H

we have a few threads where clutches grenade which is comonally caused by bolt failure.
    not a pretty sight to see

14. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok I'll get new bolts I dont need that happening. I am going to attach a pic of the spring setup he had on here can anyone tell me why he did this or maybe an idea of what is up.

Attached Files:

15. XJ550H

there is a spring that goes on the clutch push lever to tension the lever
    I can see part of yours. does it still hook to lever and case?

16. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

a possible cause of oil leaks ,is a blocked crankcase breather pipe. in your case it looks like the breather pipe has been stopped off with with a bolt. you need to put a breather filter on the top of the clutch case. the pressure build up could force oil out of places, that would'nt normally leak.
    stu

k-moe and XJ550H like this.
  17. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I don't really have a oil leak problem where should I put a breather would I be able to get a new clutch cover that has one? Not sure what your saying I'm sorry it's my first bike

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The black pipe below your carburettor pod filter bensalf is referring to. The pipe stub is on your crankcase so you don't need another clutch cover. The pipe connects to the air filter as Yamaha designed it but since your machine has pods fitted someone has just blocked the pipe with a bolt. This causes increased pressure inside the crankcase which is normally sent back into the engine if the original Yamaha airbox is there and the black pipe connected to it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Piston rings and bores are not a perfect seal so this causes increased pressure in the crankcase which is normally fed back into the engine. You can buy a small filter to fit the stub on your crankcase in place of the black pipe that is there now. Alternatively you can refit the original Yamaha airbox and filter and connect the black pipe to it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  20. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

If you opt for the small filter get one with a male nipple, use the hose and mount the filter away from your leg. Your pant leg won’t stink Of combustion fumes