1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

ETHANOL FREE GAS (US & Canada)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Sep 27, 2020.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sometimes i think the ethan, non ethanolol is as overblown as synthetic vs dino oil. someone swears support to each side of the coin.

I run ethanol blended gas through the summer then switch over to non ethanol just before winter and use seafoam in the fuel for the winter sleep
    I run the tank to reserve and run it lower to maximize the refill try for2 or 3 tanks to minimize the amount of ethanol in the mix.

on another note it is not legal in my state to pump ethanol free into car truck or motorcycle. No one stops you but is only to be used in "farm and landscape equipment.
    mostly for the 2 stroke equipment.

k-moe likes this.
  2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

so my lawn mower gets left out in the rain more often than it should, but always starts right up.
    is this because of ethanol gas, or am i just lucky?

k-moe likes this.
  3. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

My Seca runs like shit on 10% etoh fuel; difficult starting, hardly torque and must be riding fairly high in revs to perform.
    With 5% or no etoh all is just fine.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Either something is wrong with the fuel aside from the ethanol content, or something is wrong with the bike.

5. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Yeah with the 10% etoh IN the gasoline..lol
    We have LOTS of problems overhere with that green stuff in old cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers etc.
    Sludge buildup, gummed carbs/fuellines, corrosion in the carbs and/or alu-parts, seals start leaking etc.
    95/98 octane only with max 5% etoh is recommended by the mechanics.

6. k-moe

Interesting. I have never had issue with running E10 in the U.S. I wonder if there is a difference in the blend of the base fuel, or the additive package.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i guess E85 is out of the question then

8. k-moe

E85 is just a rejet away..unless you're after a power increase. Then you'll need to raise compression and alter valve timing.

9. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Could be dependable on the region you live in.
    I mean.. in Cal. where temps are up and humidity is low you probably have less problems of the hygroscopic etoh.
    As so for the very cold regions. Cold air contains less moisture.
    In a seaclimate region, where I live, is a lot of moisture in the air and in the gasoline when stored over a longer period.
    My XJ doesn't run well on 10% etoh gasoline as I noticed in Spain last summer.

10. k-moe

I've used E10 in a number of climates, from the Pacific Northwest, to the the semi-arid High Plains, and to a lesser extent in the humid part of the Midwest. Going on 40 years now and no real problems that regular maintainace can't prevent (same as with all fuels). Use what you want, but I hesitate to blame problems on blending ethanol with gasoline. It's not a new type of fuel; it's been around since the late 1920's.

Minimutly likes this.
  11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I'm with @kmoe on this, I have a book by a college professor, it lists loads of comparisons and tests he did with Leeds (if I recal) university on straight petrol and E85. Guess what - the 1950's cast iron Mgtb loved E85. It didn't eat the carburretors or the steel/copper fuel lines. No power loss, less pinking, they even increased the (admittedly low) compression ratio by two points.
    So, if something doesn't like E85, my suggestion is that it was right on the edge to begin with. In the UK, leaded petrol went out 10 yrs ago, fe2 places now sell straight petrol....

k-moe likes this.
  12. XJ550H

sticker on pumps says 10% which indicates maximum amount of ethanol blended. could be less.
    I do find that some gas stations fuel runs better than others. when the fuel trucks come to town there is the generic truck and a name brand truck.
    generic delivers to all the mm and pop stations, name brand only to its branded stations, that can make a differance

13. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Ok. Glad to hear it's not universal..lol.
    It's quite an issue overhere but if you don't have those problems count yourselfs lucky.:)
    Sales of 10% gas has went way down in favor of the 98/5%
    In Germany they even sell 95/5% nowadays because they can't get rid of the 95/10% due to.. etc.

14. XJ550H

during the 70s and 80s the familys of newyork were hauling toxic waste and mixing it with gasoline to dispose of it.
    paid to haul away toxic waste then mixing it into gasoline to make more money on less fuel.
    maybe that has circled across the ocean

15. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

As the governments did with the tetraethyllead in the years before that?

16. XJ550H

not quitethere was some benifit to
    Tetraethyllead (commonly styled tetraethyl lead), abbreviated TEL, is an organolead compound with the formula (CH3CH2)4Pb. It is a petro-fuel additive, first being mixed with gasoline beginning in the 1920s as a patented octane rating booster that allowed engine compression to be raised substantially.