1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ultrasonic Cleaner Q's

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I share your frustration, seen similar stubborn floats.
    You can try tapping the bowls as you fill them.
    Shut off the fuel source and drain the bowls each time.
    Try raising the fuel source to increase head pressure on the floats.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the tab on the float can't have any nicks or scratches on it or the pin on the needle might get stuck on it sometimes

3. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Before putting the carbs back on the bike I checked all four carbs for leaks and all were fine. I put them on the bike and now there's leaks galore! The 1, 3, an4 carb all leak and I wasn't even having an issue with the 3rd carb at all. For such a simple system it causes me more problems. It seems like this is something that should work 99% of the time. Ugh. I'm hoping at this point that if I ride the bike all the bumps in the road will wiggle those floats enough to keep them working properly.

4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

One other thought is the replacement float needle valves need to be the same length as the original or it changes the geometry between the needle valve and float tang, which results in side pressure on the float needle valve and intermittent operation.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Rooster, please look at a couple posts back where I asked about this very thing. I posted pics with the different measurements of the valve seats with the needle valve in it. I would love to hear your thoughts.

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Which ones did you go with? They look really close, I think the issues were with float needle valves that were approximately 1mm longer.

7. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I went with the shiny new ones. If you'll notice the shiny new ones are 19.41mm and the original xj900 float seat and needle is 19.14. Do you think 0.27mm would make that much of a difference?