1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650 revival

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kweb1889, Oct 7, 2020.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

oh, i thought in your first post you said the oil pan was leaking, o_O
    anyway, you need something like this , either connected to the end of the pipe, where the bolt is, or , a female breather would go directly onto the stub on top of the crankcase.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12MM-Rou...4a40890153d66ff985fa|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
    stu

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Your first bike? Is this first before or after the 650 maxim in your first post. You are confusing the forum with two different bikes - or at least pictures of them. So you now have a 650 maxim and a 550?

3. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Yes 650 was my first 2 weeks later I picked up the 550 I am sorry everyone I thought I was posting the 550 questions in a different thread so that's my bad. I do have an oil leak on the 650 it has the breather hose going to the airbox then their is a smaller hose coming out of the airbox that has a bolt in it should I remove that bolt. Again I am sorry I thought I was posting the 550 pictures in my 550 thread. 550 has no airbox and a bolt in the line I ordered a couple breather filters for it though. Again so sorry

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Close, but not quite. The small amount of combustion gasses that go past the rings are minimal (in fact they had better be minimal, otherwise you got toruble) in comparison to the volume of air in the crankcase. Seal the crankcase, and the air gets compressed just like the air in the combustion chamber does, though not to the same ratio. Without a breather that pressure overcomes the crankcase seals and pushes oil out of wherever the easiest path happens to be.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Kevin Cameron also talked about crankcase windage. He talked about how it could cause power loss and how manufacturers dealt with it.

k-moe likes this.
  6. bensalf

the smaller pipe coming from underneath the airbox is a drain pipe , remove the bolt every so often ,to drain the pipe, depending on millage and climate, say twice a year.
    stu

7. k-moe

The airbox drainpipe shouldn't have a bolt in it at all.

8. bensalf

yeh ,probably not. -- my Goldwing has two drain pipes , both have factory fitted plastic plugs in them, its part of the service sheduel to drain them.
    i've often wondered about these "open" drains , as they are on the carburettor side of the airbox, so have suction applied, the ends are also in direct line with the wheels, so have the potential to suck up dust e.t.c. . i know some models have a type of one way valve ,just inside the airbox, but my 600 does'nt.
    stu

9. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you very much for the advice. My oil leak seems to be coming from the valve cover and leaking down the front of the head and the sump is leaking too, I'm hoping I just need to do gaskets. The bike fires up and runs as is but I had a carb issue that I figured out (had rust in the choke holes inside the bowls) got rebuild kits for them. Does xj 4ever do full engine gasket kits?

10. k-moe

Full gasket kits are avaialble, but you don't need that if the only leaks are from the valve cover and sump. Engine disassembly is the last thing you want to get involved with.

11. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok so these 40 7ear old gaskets that arent leaking will be ok? I just want to keep this bike running well.

12. k-moe

Yes. Gaskets that aren't leaking don't need to be touched. I had a tractor that was built in the late 50's that still had most of the original gaskets. No leaks.

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Holy crap!!! Don’t ride it til you get THIS fixed, too!!!

k-moe likes this.
  14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is it the sump or the o ring on the oil level sensor?

15. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok in assuming your referencing that weird spring setup. What is that for and how do I fix it? What would be the proper way?

16. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ya know I'm not sure I'm gonna clean it up and check, I've been busy with work lately so havent had time

17. hogfiddles

Exactly......
    1. If the clutch cable is that sticky, get a new cable
    2. If the return spring is broken, replace it
    3. If the clutch springs are bad, you’re a timebomb with only a few moments left
    4. If the lever needs to be re-indexed, do it.
    5.so, the spring end is in a hole drilled into the frame?

I don’t think you want to be on that bike when you have to suddenly downshift to get away from a close call.......hit the throttle and all you get is a redlined RPM and no clutch.

What was it for? I’m HOPING that it was SUPPOSED to be a VERY short-term emergency repair, just so someone could get home, but never got finished.

‘My guess from zooming in to look at it is that either:
    1. The clutch cable is sticky and not returning fast en0ugh so this is for extra return-spring strength (get a new cable or clean and lube it if it’s otherwise still good)
    2. The Cable is fine but the adjustment at the perch is way out of whack (get the adjustments back in order)
    3. The wrong cable is on, and it’s too short, so the springs pull it back tighter ( get a correct cable)
    4. The clutch inside is worn out and is slipping, these springs being a cheap solution to try and gain some grip (do the clutch job)

I’d remove the goofy springs and diagnose the issue. This is NOT the best solution, but in a emergency, it could at least get someone home.

k-moe likes this.
  18. k-moe

I see what might be a broken clutch throwout return spring.
    No bueno.

19. hogfiddles

I’ve zoomed in as far as I can, and I see the coil on the shaft, and I see the hook farther back on the arm.......But it’s entirely possible that it’s broken at the bottom instead. That would be an easy fix......install a new spring.

dfox

20. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

thank you very much I havent even started this bike since I've gotten it I have a new complete clutch basket for it. The spring seems to be fine but the cable is extremely sticky so I think it was a temp fix for an extremely sticky cable. I will be doing the clutch and basket and clutch cable before I ride this bike thank you very much again. Also I'm gonna fill this hole he drilled in the frame. The po was a dummy he rode it like this lucky it didnt go wrong