1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj550j help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kweb1889, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Hello everyone this forum is excellent I appreciate all the help I've received and want to become a premium member as soon as I can. Now i bought a used clutch basket for my 81 xj550j maxim because the PO broke one of the bolts out of the original clutch basket I have a digital copy of the manual thanks to another member so I think I can do this my question is should I re use my clutch plates or the plates that are in the new complete basket? Also should i drain the oil first? And is their away to get around having the clutch boss holder tool as I dont have one? Thanks everyone I'll attach a pic of the new clutch basket I got off ebay.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

put bike in gear and step on the brake pedal that will hold the clutch for you to undo the nut.
    a 2x4 may help hold down the pedal . also tighten up the rear brake adjuster to get a good grip with the brakes.

CLUTCHES 101-Part 1: the 400/550/600s with pics

the metal plates can be cleaned and reuse if they meet spec on warpage, the fiber discs can also be reused if thickness is in spec.
    new parts are best but old parts can be reused if in spec.
    clutch springs have a spec too. bolts get new ones is the best advice. if you lean the bike over far enough you do not need to drain oil but it makes the job harder to do when you do not have the proper tool.

you may be able to rent the tool(s) you need from chacal. have a conversation with him
    XJ PARTS CATALOG, SECTION P: THE TOOLBOX

HCP10543 Aftermarket clutch drum HOLDER TOOL. In order to install the clutch drum retaining nut HCP3204 above, you have to lock the clutch drum and prevent it from turning while the nut is torqued. This tool uses a re-cycled drive plate to hold the basket while the nut is being removed or installed, thus spreading the load more evenly and equally than the HCP9237 tool listed above. Light-duty design is not recommended for shop use, but it works just fine for periodic (individual) use. Fits all XJ550, XJ650, XJ700, XJ750, and XJ900 models.
    Purchase Price: $ 24.95
    Rental Rate: $ 0.95 per day

3. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you that's very helpful. I need a second opinion does this oil filter bolt look welded to anyone? I'll attach a pic. How do I get it off it wont turn and I dont want to strip it I have a new filter to put in.

Attached Files:

4. JCH

JCH Active Member

Spray it with w/d 40 and let it penetrate, tap on the head of the bolt serval times and take a good pair of channel locks to it for starters.
    Looks like your going to need a new bolt ,it's more then just a simple bolt, may cost you a few bucks.

5. XJ550H

it does look like someone welded a nut to it [​IMG]

6. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok guys I have another question for you guys. what is this part called so I can find a replacement since it's obviously leaking oil. It runs from the valve cover to the cluster.

Attached Files:

7. XJ550H

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

WD-40 is not a penetrating oil.

KROIL, PB-BLaster, or (my favorite) a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone are all penetrating oils.

Kweb1889 likes this.
  9. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I know I used PB blaster

k-moe likes this.
  10. XJ550H

when you do your oil filter look for the spring and the washer part 10 and 11. washer may be stuck to filter gromet. you may also want to seal the base of cover with rtv to prevent leaks the large o ring part 9 may not do it.
    you can also see the crush washer on the drain plug it may/should be replaced to prevent oil drips
    oil filterwork.JPG

Kweb1889 likes this.
  11. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I really do appreciate everything that this forum has helped me with. This is a priceless source of help and information. Thank you everyone.

k-moe likes this.
  12. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I need some advice guys I need to winterize my bikes and need to know the easiest and cheapest way. Also i will be working on them throughout the winter.

13. k-moe

Park it the garage.
    I generally treat a tank of gas with StaBil and a little Marvel Mystery Oil, then go for a 1/2 hour ride.
    After the bike cools I change the oil, hook up the battery to a tender, and drain the carbs.

14. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok. I only have a portable garage workshop so that will have to do. The problem is that the xj550 doesn't run at the moment I have to get the clutch repaired and I have to get the tach cable gear seals done. Also I can't get the oil filter to come out the bolt was welded back together at some point in its life and is seized on their i am going to do the spin on conversion from xj4ever. So is their a way for me to do it without the bike running? Maybe drain all the gas tank and carbs? Drain the oil and just fill it up without filter change? I have a new filter just camt get it apart like I said. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

15. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I replaced the hose coming out of the crank case that was supposed to go to the air box with a breather filter. This was something another member said I needed to do for pressure in the crank case reasons. I store and work on my bikes in a portable garage which has a dirt floor should i worry about moisture getting into the case? Also the po welded up a straight pipe exhaust which I dont mind but it is touching the oil filter housing slightly so not sure if that will be a problem. Also it is very close to the sump underneath will this be a problem? Also this bike didnt come with the maintenance stand so can I buy one that isnt attached to the bike to keep it upright? I'll attach pics please let me know if any of this will be a problem.

Attached Files:

16. k-moe

In that case remove the gas tank, drain it, lightly oil the interior, and set it on a shelf.
    Pull the carbs for cleaning and seal replacement over the winter. Stuff rags into the intake to keep mice and such out.
    Deal with the oil as part of the oil filter bolt removal.

17. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok thank you for the advice. Will the rags work for moisture as well? it is sitting in a portable garage with no floor not even sure if moisture will be a problem just dont wanna risk anything going wrong in the motor

18. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I stuff wine corks in the tail pipes to keep mice out. I like to put a bit of oil down the spark plug holes and slowly turn the engine by hand.

19. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

My pipes are straight piped so it would have to be a big cork. Does anyone know if i have to worry about moisture because I put that breather filter in place of where the crank case connects to the air box.

Attached Files:

20. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

What kind of oil would I use to oil the tank up and will the rags in the crank case keep moisture out as well?